Mapping/Tuning your R1250RT - anyone had it done?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Mapping/Tuning your R1250RT - anyone had it done?

Post by jesim1 »

I'm not after extra power, but more low down torque would be nice, especially as my last bike was a K1600GA, so I thought about a remap/tune and was wondering if anyone had done it and what the results were like, especially low down as I'm never up over 5/6k revs anyway (mostly :oops: )
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 284 times
Great Britain

Re: Mapping/Tuning your R1250RT - anyone had it done?

Post by burridge01 »

Have a PowerCommander5 on my 1200lc.Wasn't cheap to get it all done(have complete Arrow decat system) but the bike is awesome. Torque is everywhere and pulls like the proverbial train.Purley down to costs I wouldn't have it done again but would see what can be done via the ecu.Not many want to touch the beemer so make sure if you go down thar route they are fully briefed up on the bike.

As a side note,me RT sounds like a MotoGP bike with the baffle out :-D :-D
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 539 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I was going to get a power commander on mine until I spoke to hill top motorcycles who claims the plugs are inferior and he refuses to work with them and recommends his own software.

I have since read some stories about the claims he makes so now I am on the fence!

Once mine has been in for the recalls I am going to be getting mine remapped either with a power commander or via the ecu

If I go ecu I am going to go to bhp uk to have it done
Glenn
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2019
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 131 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

Some info on Power Commander here viewtopic.php?t=4156
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 284 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Hilltop seem to have a mishmash of reviews. When I had the VFR1200 they got absolutely slaughtered on the forum,people really did pull him apart.

The link that Glen has posted-I posted my dyno graph.The graph is all about how the power is delivered.I never wanted all out power but have the bike set up correctly with the full decatted exhaust, that's what they did for me and man,the bikes a beast in every gear.Shame your up north,you could take me bike for a test for a taste of a PowerCommander(saying that,I'm up Blackpool 9th-13th June should you fancy a go) :thumb:
Stu
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Yeah it's not always about huge power gains it's just about power in the right places and making them better at the lower revs

Thanks for the offer of a test ride but no need as I will be getting mine done regardless I just need to decide whether power commander or ecu

There is pros and cons to both
jesim1
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

I had an R1200GS RTLE done by Hilltop about 6 years ago and it made a big difference, it was so much smoother than standard, I noticed it as soon as I got on the bike, not even out of the car park and I felt happy.

Here is the graph for anyone interested, I'm not sure why they were getting slated, I've heard this also, but my own experience was good:

Stu
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

jesim1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:29 pm I had an R1200GS RTLE done by Hilltop about 6 years ago and it made a big difference, it was so much smoother than standard, I noticed it as soon as I got on the bike, not even out of the car park and I felt happy.

Here is the graph for anyone interested, I'm not sure why they were getting slated, I've heard this also, but my own experience was good:

I have heard lots of good and bad and don't know what to believe to be honest

I have seen videos showing dyno runs before and after and some showing results and some showing no change! :?
jesim1
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

sakm wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:23 pm I have heard lots of good and bad and don't know what to believe to be honest

I have seen videos showing dyno runs before and after and some showing results and some showing no change! :?
I totally get it, hence this post to see what others have done, but I was there in person when they done this to my R1200GS, and am going to ride down hopefully next week to have my R1250RT done, I'll post results once it's done :cheers:
jesim1
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Sorry guys, I said I'd let you know how I got on with this, but I've pulled my back and can barely walk let alone ride a motorcycle, so for now this is off the cards. I'm moving to Scotland soon, so I may have to see who can do it up there :oops:
Stu
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Get well soon @jesim1

Have a look at BHP UK they are only up the road from you

jesim1
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

jesim1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:41 pm Sorry guys, I said I'd let you know how I got on with this, but I've pulled my back and can barely walk let alone ride a motorcycle, so for now this is off the cards. I'm moving to Scotland soon, so I may have to see who can do it up there :oops:
Still stiff (ooh err missus :lol: ), but I managed to get the bike to Hilltop last week and they done the upgrade to the ECU.

The bike was never that vibey, but it is smoother now the mapping has been changed, there is also noticeably more low down torque, it's not going to pull your arms off, but the difference from riding in, having it done, and riding out again was there, especially as I ride two up 90% of the time. The bike can now probably hold a gear higher than before at town speeds, the chap at Hilltop recons there will be a slight increase in both bhp and torque pretty much all the way through the rev range, but more so low down, and also it removes the weak spot around 3500/4000 rpm and transitions that area better now. No idea what it's like at the top end as I seldom go there, not surprising on a bike which is probably around 140hp now, it is a tourer after all, but it's way more capable than me TBH :cheers:

So I'm happy I had it done, its' not night and day, but it's smoother and more drivable, it's what the bike should have had in the first place if it didn't have to fight emissions in every country it's shipped to.

James