Acts like a dead battery but isn't

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
eightballbum
Bike Model and Year: 2019BMWr1250rt
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Acts like a dead battery but isn't

Post by eightballbum »

I have a 2019 R1250RT with 19k miles. Several riding times now, after a brief stop, the bike acts like the the battery is dead. Replaced last October and kept on battery tender all winter. I wait a half hour to 45 minutes an it starts right up. Apparently something is cooling down to allow full amps to hit the starter? Any ideas. When I return to the garage my battery tester reads 95% charged. EBB
W8NONU
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2016
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Acts like a dead battery but isn't

Post by W8NONU »

Strange things happen if a battery isn’t quite right. Could be low amps with adequate voltage or a cell that is falling off. I’m waiting on a new battery to arrive today. I have multiple problems with a red warning triangle and a red battery showing on the dash. My battery is two years old, voltage is good, load test is good and bikes charging system is working. I’m betting there is a problem with the battery. Cheap way to trouble shoot before heading to the dealer.
W8NONU
United States of America

Post by W8NONU »

Well, my bikes issue is not the battery. New battery installed and the issue remains. I’ll be calling the dealer tomorrow.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 379 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Does this thread sound like the problem you are experiencing, viewtopic.php?t=6039&hilit=decompressor
W8NONU
United States of America

Post by W8NONU »

No, my bike starts and runs without issue. The problem I have is with warning lights and headlight/turn signals not coming on.
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

Have you resolved your issue?
I had a problem where the bike start button would not activate the TFT so it appeared as if the battery was dead. This happened intermittently. Then realised the central locking still worked so wasn't a dead battery, so maybe just a degraded battery? No not the battery at all. Months later it failed to start again and nothing I did would make it come to life. Turned out to be a "keyless Ride Module" failure and it had obviously been playing up intermittently. Hope this didn't happen to you because it can take up to 6 weeks to replace. This is not an uncommon problem but not talked about much - certainly by BMW.
Hydrashok158
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Hydrashok158 »

@jggpossum How was the issue diagnosed to the "keyless Ride Module"?