Bike balance for tyre changes

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Jeffem
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Bike balance for tyre changes

Post by Jeffem »

Hi, If anyone has lost a small metal ‘thingy’ the good news is I’ve found it! The bad news is that I found it sticking out of my back tyre!
IMG_6138.jpeg
IMG_6138.jpeg (482.11 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
The next bit of good news is the pile of cash my local motorcyle emporium is about to receive.. :|

My question is, are the RTs okay to leave balanced on the centre stand and axle stands on the front wheel axle?

Motorcycles! The gift that just keeps giving… :roll:
Slow in, fast out.
Steve398
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 315 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Bike balance for tyre changes

Post by Steve398 »

I’ve done this before with concerns, but only because I once put axle stands front and rear with the centre stand down when I had both wheels off. I thought “that’s ok” and then there was a loud crash as it fell off and landed on the sump.

So, front axle stand? Fingers crossed for you, but myself I’ve now bought an Abba lift, it’s easier on the nerves!
Jeffem
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Jeffem »

To be honest since my post this morning I’ve now managed to dig out my (car) axle stands and they sit much lower than I remembered, so I feel more comfortable with my propsed technique. An Abba stand would be nice, but it would take up too much space in the garage. :?

On all previous bikes, including a R1100RS, I put the front spindle back into position and then let it rest on the two stands. I try to keep the axle stands slightly lower than if the front wheel was in place. I don’t drop it by much, but it kinda mimics the normal position if the wheels were on.

Road 6s going on sooner than I expected. Can’t wait :cheers:
Slow in, fast out.
Steve398
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 315 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

They do take up a lot of space don’t they, but I have a neighbour with an empty garage, bless her… 😊
Sullivj
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I left mine resting with the front axle on an axle stand with both wheels off.

I found I needed to jack up the bike slightly to get the front wheel out, so left the jack in place to increase stability.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I just use a scissor jack with a bit of wood bolted to it . this goes where the sump is and the center stand on a dolly. while working in the garage I bumped into it and rocked the bike. Very stable
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I'm sure David has a picture of my own invention which I use to support the bike in this situation, so hopefully he will see this thread and post it. No messing about with scissor jacks or the like. It is a two person contraption though but so simple. Position invention alongside the sump next to the cast lug at the front. Have assistant rest forearms on rear luggage rack with panniers in place for better weight distribution (rolled up bike cover makes for more comfort). Assistant pushes down pivoting bike on centre stand. Other person (me) slides invention under said cast lug at front of sump. Easy and very, very secure. I did contact BMW with the intention of selling them the rights to manufacture and market my "invention" as an official workshop "Tool" but that was years ago and they haven't yet replied ! !.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 379 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:07 amI'm sure David has a picture of my own invention which I use to support the bike in this situation, so hopefully he will see this thread and post it.
Photo and details can be found in this thread, viewtopic.php?p=24089&hilit=bread+board#p24089
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Using a scissor jack under the sump, allows the front end of the motorcycle to be raised sufficient enough, once the painted section of the fender has been removed to roll out the wheel. I use a similar wooden invention to that of Michael's which fits under the forks with a screwed rod through where the wheel spindle goes for added security. The scissor jack method removes the need to fight with the weight of the wheel when replacing it. The motorcycle can be lowered and the wheel spindle slid in. This makes it a one man/woman operation.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Exactly how I do it but I took the jacking point(metal bit on the Jack)off my Jack and bolted a piece of 2" x 2" x 5" wood to it. I also fitted a socket so I can fit my drill. Much easier than the wiggle handle.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

I do like using the Abba stand. I think i posted this photo before. Because of how high it lifts the rear wheel, its not that easy to use on the RT. I will only use it when the front end needs something doing to it. The main stand for everything else.
3a.jpg
3a.jpg (360.23 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb: