Portugal on a rental

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
Arends
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1200RT 2015
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 4 times
Ireland

Portugal on a rental

Post by Arends »

I am starting this, to keep motivated to take pictures. I am flying to Lisbon on Saturday, and we are renting RT on Monday to rid around the country for the week.
It will be my first "fly&ride" holiday, so fingers crossed. We are flying with pannier bag and a helmet bag each.

Photos and scribbles to follow soon.

By the way, if you have any practical notes on riding a rented bike, I am happy to read and make my own mind :mrgreen:
I am here to learn.
Steve398
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 315 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Portugal on a rental

Post by Steve398 »

Before you accept the bike:

Check that everything is present and working

Take a video all over the bike, this will prove that any damage that shows was already there, and may save you from paying for damage you haven’t done.

Enjoy! 👍
Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by Old Foxy »

+1 on Steve's comments. Done it twice in Australia, with no issues.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Foxy
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

+2 on Steve's comments, also be aware of the carrying capacity and don't over pack, an air Hawke or similar is not a bad shout, it can make a potentially tough trip far better.

Do you have the BMW connect app for the sat nav function? You can also download maps for the area on it in advance at home so it's not as reliant on mobile data :thumb:
Arends
Ireland

Post by Arends »

I was app-free so far, that's why I like my 2015 Blue Whale. But I'll give it a go while I am on wifi at home.
I am here to learn.
ingridguerci94
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1200RT
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by ingridguerci94 »

I am starting this, to keep motivated to take pictures. I am flying to Lisbon on Saturday, and we are renting RT on Monday to rid around the country for the week.
It will be my first "fly&ride" holiday, so fingers crossed. We are flying with pannier bag and a helmet bag each.

Photos and scribbles to follow soon.

By the way, if you have any practical notes on riding a rented bike, I am happy to read and make my own mind :mrgreen:
Sounds exciting! Make sure to check the bike thoroughly before you ride and familiarize yourself with Portugal's traffic laws. Plan your routes carefully and pack light but essential items. Stay safe on the roads. Meet and have sex with beautiful girls. Have a great trip and looking forward to seeing your photos!
Arends
Ireland

Post by Arends »

Well, I am back and we both survived. And I can say that both me and my partner had pretty equal amount of sex, but not with locals. Still, thanks for the hint, ingridguerci94 :mrgreen:

We went with Hertz Ride rental, as they had 1250RT with all three panniers available. Not the cheapest, but I like Hertz.

Unfortunately, their Lisbon office is their busiest, and we came a bit too late to avoid the midday crowd. The bike had only around 3000km on the clock and was pre-dropped on one side.

We had 5 days of riding, having everything from meagre 12 degrees in the rain to sunny 27 degrees in city traffic. We rode about 1200km in total and chicken strips went down to 1cm. There were routes we took, where I could not get to higher gear than the 3rd, with my foot on the rear brake for over an hour. And I haven't touched the surface of neither motorway nor a tolled road.

Local drivers have the advantage of knowing the route, so although I was enjoying myself, I had to let them pass.

Living for a week from one pannier bag is doable, when you have peg-less clothes line with you.

1250RT does not have phone/satnav mount, and I could not get my phone connected, so my navigation was only via audio messages from Google maps on my phone. It worked well outside cities and medieval villages, and allowed me to focus purely on the riding without glancing down on the squiggly line on the phone screen.

Comparing to my 10-year old 1200RT, the gear box is smoother and quieter, quick shifter more civilised, but the screen and menu are painful. Also, the shift-cam change is noticeable and caught my by surprise a few times. And it was always unpleasant surprise. The gearbox felt "sticky" when it warmed up, which I found on my Blue Whale too, but I wanted it to compare to a new bike.

Having done low-speed manoeuvre training couple of weekends before the trip definitely helped.

Overall, Portugal is fantastic place to ride a motorbike and I have a proof below, that RT is a pussy-magnet...
IMG-20240618-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20240618-WA0001.jpg (143.18 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
I am here to learn.
Quico
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Portugal

Post by Quico »

Well, I'm a bit late now, but I'm from Lisbon, Portugal.

Next time let me know you're coming (drop pm) and I'm glad to show you some nice roads, good restaurants, and places like Serra da Arrábida, Sintra or Cabo da Roca, the most westernmost point of Europe.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 284 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Quico wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:04 pm Sintra or Cabo da Roca, the most westernmost point of Europe.
Did that a few years ago on me GSX1250, nice roads round there.

On me way back I stopped at an old forty thing,minding me own business I looked out to the cliffs and saw these men(zoom in)fishing,stood right on the edge with a line over the side.Sod that.

Quico
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Portugal

Post by Quico »

burridge01 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:28 pm Did that a few years ago on me GSX1250, nice roads round there.
Sorry to disapoint you but thats not the westernmost point.
That's cape Saint Vincent lighthouse (Farol do Cabo de São Vicente) in Sagres, southwesternmost point of Europe. :cheers:
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 284 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

The bloody liars.Right then,that means I've got to go to Portugal again :thumb: So it is the furthest point south westerly in Europe,think that may do on me hit list.
Arends
Ireland

Post by Arends »

We both enjoyed Portugal immensely. For the next time, we think about flying to Porto, as it is closer to the Serra da Estrela Nature Park, that we had to mostly skip due to bad weather.

The national roads (especially N2) were revelation to me. I've never leaned my bike that much! And still I was being overtaken by delivery vans :P
I am here to learn.
Arends
Ireland

Post by Arends »

The approximate route...
20240629_121944.jpg
20240629_121944.jpg (469.67 KiB) Viewed 3641 times
I am here to learn.