Puig Screen Screaking

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Arends
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1200RT 2015
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 4 times
Ireland

Puig Screen Screaking

Post by Arends »

Howdy folks

Slowly attempting to regain the lost inch after my accident and riding with a peaked helmet, I went for Puig taller screen. Apart from a bit of back-draft, it works really better for me than the stock screen.

When mounting it, when I apply the recommended torque value on all the bolts, the screen is very loose and rattles. Even when I go over the torque settings, the screen screaks a bit.

If you have experienced anything similar, what did you do? Have you added any padding under the screen mounts?
I am here to learn.
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Re: Puig Screen Screaking

Post by jesim1 »

Screen should be fitted with rubber grommets/spacers, are you sure yours are in place, did you use the same fittings from the original screen? An inner tube from Halfords cut to make spacers may help, you can also drill the windscreen to reduce the backdraft effect, I done it on my Power bronze.

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Run a little bit of grease on the grommets to stop the sweaking
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Arends
Ireland

Post by Arends »

Thank you all, my notification settings are not the best.

I didn't see any rubber grommets, and I was careful not to lose anything while installing the screen.
There were no rubber parts holding the OEM windscreen, and there were no rubber parts supplied with the Puig screen.

Do you mean grommet that I should put onto the mounting screws, or in-between the screen and the black window bars?
I am here to learn.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Arends wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:53 pm Thank you all, my notification settings are not the best.

I didn't see any rubber grommets, and I was careful not to lose anything while installing the screen.
There were no rubber parts holding the OEM windscreen, and there were no rubber parts supplied with the Puig screen.

Do you mean grommet that I should put onto the mounting screws, or in-between the screen and the black window bars?
grommet that I should put onto the mounting screws
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Arends
Ireland

Post by Arends »

Thank you. I've started googling and the e-bay bolts I've found so far have the rubber sleeve (=grommet as I learned).
Mine don't have any rubber, I've checked over lunch time.

Could you recommend and on-line store that sells original bolts, or non-OEM bolts but still with Torx head, so I don't have non-standard hex bolts on the bike?
I am here to learn.
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 540 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have no grommets on mine!

Where is the movement? Is it the screen to the mounting plate or the whole mounting plate that's moving?

I have a bit of play in the mounting plate between the pivot points which is normal