New helmet time. Which one?

Got any questions on clothing? Want to write a review to help others in choosing the right gear?
Glenn
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2019
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 131 times
Great Britain

Re: New helmet time. Which one?

Post by Glenn »

I'm on my 2nd AGV Tourmodular as a result of my RTC. The first one lasted only 4 rides (before I was knocked off), but did it's job saving my head. For my head shape it is comfortable in the extreme, but I do need a larger size than normal.
Steve398
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 315 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

It’s all about the balance between fit/comfort/features/looks/price really isn’t it? Of the two chosen options the Neotech 3 was the unknown but highly rated flip against my standard well-fitting, and proven Arai.

Shoei - Top of the range new modular helmet, but with a good following from the previous model. Rather a high purchase price, plus the Shoei Sena comms, and it was raging around the £900 mark.
I’d also had a Shoei some years ago that wasn’t particularly comfortable or well-fitting, although I am aware that they’d changed the head shape since, and this could be further enhanced by Motolegends fitting service at a price.

Arai - A known and great fitting helmet for me, I’ve had them for about the last 20 years plus and never had any problems or discomfort, but on the downside non-modular.

The decider came when I found the Helmet City sale 40% discount ad for one of my favourite Arai models the RX7V Evo, a top spec helmet with excellent ventilation, and the latest ECE R22-06 approval safety standard. All of which together with some forgotten ‘HC Points’ further reduced the price to £477… Thank you kindly, and done! An added bonus was that the new light smoke visor and Pinlock that I bought for my now-buggered QV Pro will fit the RX7.

Is the Neotech 3 off the list? Not really, if I find I have the money spare one month I may just treat myself anyway! :-D
Last edited by Steve398 on Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 14 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

Why did you leave the HJC RHPA 91 off the list?
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
Steve398
Subscriber
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I’ve tried an awful lot of helmets on in the past and discovered that the most comfortable for me were Arai and AGV, but I don’t particularly like the current AGV range.
The Shoei gets very good reviews so I thought it would be worth a try.
I’ve got nothing particular against the HJC, or indeed any of the other myriad range of crash helmets, just personal choice.
Steve398
Subscriber
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Just to throw another ingredient into the mix, has anyone tried a crash helmet fitted with MIPS technology?

My wifes ski helmet has it, and I know that certain Bell crash helmets have it..

https://mipsprotection.com/motorcycle/
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I know it's not a MC helmet but my cycle helmet has MIPS. Same as my MC helmet, Bell. Feels strange at first and I don't feel like it as comfortable as my other non MIPS helmet as there is less padding. This may be different in MC helmets.

When selecting a MC helmet which is sometimes harder than purchasing a MC. What I do is to the stores to see the helmet fit my strange head shape. When I find one that fits all my questions. I go home and hit the web. Often I find the same helmet cheaper.

I would never buy a helmet from the net without trying as you never know it will fit correctly. Every one has a different head shape. Personally I've found only Bell and AGV fit my head correctly.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Subscriber
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Agreed, it really is a stab in the dark buying from the web. In my case this will (I think) be the 3rd RX7 I’ve had, so I’m not particularly worried about it not fitting, they really are a great helmet.

It’s kind of strange that we share the good fit for an AGV, but I found the Bell no good on my head shape. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My wife finds her MIPS ski helmet the most comfortable she’s ever had, my Kask cycle helmet is nothing so exotic I’m afraid!
Glenn
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2019
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 131 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

Doctor T wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:16 pm
I would never buy a helmet from the net without trying as you never know it will fit correctly. Every one has a different head shape. Personally I've found only Bell and AGV fit my head correctly.
We must have the same strange head shape, they fit my head too, with the AVG slightly better than the Bell.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Glenn wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:06 pm We must have the same strange head shape, they fit my head too, with the AVG slightly better than the Bell.
Only the best have strange head shape. :-D
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Subscriber
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Only the best have strange head shape. :-D

Yep! But who’s old enough to remember him?

IMG_1152.jpeg
IMG_1152.jpeg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
Last edited by Steve398 on Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I remember him. Wasnt he called Zoton or something like that?
Steve398
Subscriber
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Warning: Anyone born after 1960 can ignore this post!

It was Dan Dare’s arch enemy The Mekon… from naturally enough Mekonta, or Venus, depending on which Wikipedia entry takes your fancy! :lol:

He first appeared in The Eagle, a kids comic, in 1950 (just before I turned one year old) and lasted until 1967. It was also serialised on Radio Luxembourg from 1951-66… I knew they must be good for something other than broadcasting a very wobbly radio signal playing pop songs before Radio Caroline or Radio One.

And I’m sure he bears no resemblance to either you Dr T. or Glenn!
:cheers:

P.S. Is it time for my meds yet Nurse?
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Mekon that was it. I was born is 64, so it must have been re-runs I remember. :lol:
I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg for the chart list. It was amazing back then what you could receive on AM, mostly people with languages couldn't understand. I also remember the beeps in codes like Morse code. Always thought it was the Russians in the cold war.
VR46
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by VR46 »

If you are able, try the LS2 Advant X.

I don't think it checks any boxes for the best price, lightest, quietest, best vented, most comfortable, but I believe it's the best combination/compromise when considering all of those attributes.

$430 USD.

Basic review and comparison of other options that you may want to consider...
____
-Jamie
2015 R1200RT Ebony Metallic
Steve398
Subscriber
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

We’ve been home for a couple of weeks now and been out on several rides in the sunshine to try out the new helmet.
The Arai RX7 V Evo (FIM Version) is everything I expected and perhaps more:
The comfort and fit is great, and the comms fit well without any discomfort, venting superb with lots of air flow through the top and sides of the helmet.
The visor fit is good, but it’s an acquired art to change it, and the inners come out for washing with comparative ease (once I’d watched the video).
All in all (and particularly the sale offer of £300+ off) I’m delighted!