Carpuride or alternatives - What’s the difference.

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Steve398
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 315 times
Isle of Wight

Carpuride or alternatives - What’s the difference.

Post by Steve398 »

I’ve tried reading the various posts by Sakm and others on the new alternatives to standard satnavs by using a phone focused through a bike mounted device giving you Apple carplay, as it would be for me.

I can’t quite work out what’s the same or different about the various manufacturers products and who emerges as best. I am after something that will mount securely in the original position on my 2018RT and look OEM.

I currently run a Tomtom with one of the Italian adapters, which has just suffered a fracture on one of the upper mounting slots, allowing the adapter and satnav to wobble alarmingly over bumps, and I fear that at some point on the 1300 mile journey home it may just fall off. I believe the fracture has been caused by the weight of the Tomtom on the end of the adapter over-stressing the plastic mounting slot, aggravated by poor road surfaces.

Can anyone offer advice to an ageing luddite please?
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 539 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Re: Carpuride or alternatives - What’s the difference.

Post by Stu »

I must admit that I have tried all sorts from the carplay/android auto setup to a mobile phone with the wunderlinq

I still keep going back to a stand alone SatNav with the 3DAM adapter

I prefer the security of everything based in one unit and not having to rely on a phone signal and data to get me to where I want to be

I also have mates who have similar set ups and 4 times I had to take the lead at the weekend on a ride to the lakes due to signal issues or phones freezing yet the garmin zumo xt just cracked on with it
Steve398
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 315 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Thanks Sakm 👍

I’ve just been in contact with the man who runs 3DAM adapters who are based in Forli, Italy, which is about 90 mins from our ferry port at Ancona. He will have a replacement adapter ready for collection and hopefully lend me the tools to do the changeover, then we’ll head for home.

As an aside - every trip’s a learning curve. On this one I took the torx bits and a mini wrench but hadn’t covered the possibility of the fuel cap problem which, because of the Motech mount, also required a suitably sized allen bit for the longer bolts supplied by Motech. We were very lucky to find a BMW Motorrad dealer 30 mins away.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

I recently bought a W702 Carpuride unit with BMW adaptor allowing a direct fit into the Zumo cradle with no additional wiring. Works very well although the mechanical connection between unit and adaptor isn't very robust and I ended up using Gorilla glue to stabilise mine. Seems fine now. Interestingly, did a ride in the vicinity of the Drax power station the other day and the connection between phone and Carpuride kept dropping out, making it unuseable. Eventually gave up and used a backup I had on my on the Zumo which worked absolutely fine. It would be interesting to know if anyone else in the area has experienced wifi/bluetooth problems.
Chris
kwarrrt1200

Post by kwarrrt1200 »

I assume you have the 1250RT? Iv'e just bought the w7012b from Carpuride, BUT Its too big to fit in the 'housing' of the 1200!
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

kwarrrt1200 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:08 pm I assume you have the 1250RT? Iv'e just bought the w7012b from Carpuride, BUT Its too big to fit in the 'housing' of the 1200!
That W702B won't fit onto the 1250RT either.
It states on the website that it is only compatable with the GS and XR models that have the freestanding, "open" type of mount. Take in a look in a BMW showroom at the GS mount if you need to.
I can tell you from experience that a 5.5" Zumo XT with 3DAM adapter only just fits in the RT housing.

You could try sending it back and going for the standard version using a RAM mount or buying a GS style mount system and using what you have.
I notice that 3DAM also make powered smartphone holders for the RT and K1600 - you might be able to adapt one of these.

Good luck with your search.
John Bentall
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 539 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

beemerboy9 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:09 am I notice that 3DAM also make powered smartphone holders for the RT and K1600 - you might be able to adapt one of these.

Good luck with your search.
Or buy the wunderlinq from blackbox embedded 😁

viewtopic.php?t=7494