Old Timer - New to BMW

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Robin101
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Old Timer - New to BMW

Post by Robin101 »

So like many others I am an old time biker. First bike was a Honda CB250 - (told you I was older) - first tourer was a Kawasaki GTR 1000 which used to do a regular trip to see my girlfriend / fiancée / wife - Wirral, Merseyside to Vaxjo Sweden via, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden.

Longest Trip, on a Yamaha XT 350 - England, France, Belgium, Luxembourg Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Egypt, Sudan, bit of a war happening so - then cargo flight to Pakistan (had to miss the Gulf States inconvenient war happening).
Pakistan. Kashmir and finally India - finally shipped bike back to UK from Delhi after 3 months travelling in India. Total trip was 14 months...! Most of it camping.

Various other bikes since then including a smattering of Harleys as I got older - then a break for several years and now on a 2013 R1200RT - which I am using for commuting from N Wales down to London every week or so.

Will be interesting to see what breaks or wears out first first.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Re: Old Timer - New to BMW

Post by Doctor T »

A warm welcome to our site
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Re: Old Timer - New to BMW

Post by jesim1 »

Epic history, it puts my 150k miles in most of the EU and the States to shame, I've only ever done three weeks in one go :oops:

Your RT is not exactly new, but your have been round the block a few times, so just keep an eye on the usual consumables as well as the older parts not so frequently checked like battery and bearings/shaft etc and I'm sure you will be fine :cheers: