Latest Nav6 fixed ?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Panman40
Subscriber
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 56 times
Great Britain

Latest Nav6 fixed ?

Post by Panman40 »

I have a Tomtom rider 550 but despite my best efforts at different settings etc the damn thing seems to have a mind of its own, if we stop etc it then seems to want to take us down small single track roads at every opportunity which is not part of the original route plan.

I’m thinking of investing in the very latest nav6 as garmin now have apparently fixed the issues by using an XT screen, plenty of happy owners out there now it seems.

Anyone have this latest unit and where would be the cheapest place to buy ?.

🙏
Panman40
Subscriber
Great Britain

Re: Latest Nav6 fixed ?

Post by Panman40 »

Anyone ?, or maybe you can point me on the right path to fixing the TT.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Not many folk on the GS forum are happy with their Nav 6s.

I would go for a Zumo XT (I have one) or look into a mobile phone-based solution.

What year of RT do you have?
John Bentall
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 539 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

The XT is a better unit and cheaper

I can't comment on the screen on the nav6 but have still have seen complaints
Panman40
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Ok thanks, I think this new unit is literally only just out and has the XT screen, I was thinking having wonder wheel control could be handy.
Yep I have the analogue 2019 1250rt and currently have the TT 550 on the 3Da mount.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 284 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Have you turned off unpaved roads on the tomtom.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Panman40 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:45 am I think this new unit is literally only just out and has the XT screen, I was thinking having wonder wheel control could be handy.
There is supposed to be a "fixed" Nav 6 on the way, I am waiting to hear from Garmin but so far no news in the UK. Peter
Panman40
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

burridge01 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:01 am Have you turned off unpaved roads on the tomtom.
I have yes .
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 284 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Panman40 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:24 amI have yes .
That's me out of idea's then :-D
Steve398
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 315 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

My 550 has been pretty good over the years, however it has occasionally sent me down a couple of goat tracks just for the hell of it.

If it’s set to ‘Fastest Route’ then, all things being equal and traffic permitting, you’ll hit the motorways as you wanted, If however it finds a non-motorway route that’s quicker then it’ll do what you asked, and get you there in the fastest time by whatever type of road you’ve left unticked in your settings.

The only time I’ve doubted it was on a trip to my Daughters on a busy Sunday in summer, and some of the roads I was directed down had grass growing on them. I later checked to find major accidents and traffic jams everywhere, and tbh it got me to my destination in a reasonable time. Had I chosen to ignore the satnav then I suspect I’d still be sitting in a traffic jam somewhere!
Panman40
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Steve398 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:36 am My 550 has been pretty good over the years, however it has occasionally sent me down a couple of goat tracks just for the hell of it.

If it’s set to ‘Fastest Route’ then, all things being equal and traffic permitting, you’ll hit the motorways as you wanted, If however it finds a non-motorway route that’s quicker then it’ll do what you asked, and get you there in the fastest time by whatever type of road you’ve left unticked in your settings.

The only time I’ve doubted it was on a trip to my Daughters on a busy Sunday in summer, and some of the roads I was directed down had grass growing on them. I later checked to find major accidents and traffic jams everywhere, and tbh it got me to my destination in a reasonable time. Had I chosen to ignore the satnav then I suspect I’d still be sitting in a traffic jam somewhere!
Sounds like it’s working well for you Steve, the other selection as you now other than fastest route is Thrill route… I’d still be getting to Cornwall if I’d used that option :lol:
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

I think this is an issue with all sat naves, several have settings like "windy roads", which sounds great for a bike, until your doing under 20 on a single track for an hour and only cover 10 miles :oops: The fastest route option is fine for "normal" roads and areas, but where we like to go as bikers often has it has you cutting through small areas of single track as it saves about 30 seconds :oops: I know technical these roads exist, but even with everything set up right I often find the only way to actually avoid them is by looking at the route and inserting way points to force it to stay on at least two lane roads. You really would have thought someone would put in an option to avoid very minor roads likely to be a PITA :roll:

And BTW - I had the Nav 6 on my last bike and it was fine, a step up from the nav 5, but not really any better in terms of the actual routing as above. I should also add the screen had a lot more glare, you would think the newer one would be better :oops: