Replacement front discs for twincam

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MarkW
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2012
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Replacement front discs for twincam

Post by MarkW »

Has anyone got any experience with Galfer replacement discs?

Have been thinking for a while now about changing out my originals to cure the annoying rattle from particularly the right side. There's no cause for concern with regard to disc thickness, but the non-replaceable bobbins have for some time allowing quite a bit of both lateral and rotational movement. Brakes work fine but the noise, especially over bumps at low speed, is driving me nuts. Motorworks don't seem to list the standard Brembos and now seem to only offer the "serie o" upgrade at £150 a pop, but a set of Galfers including bobbins is available on Ebay for £200 with free shipping.

The bobbins on my originals appear to be riveted on and thus not replaceable - but is there a workaround that I am perhaps unaware of?

The bike is a 2012 twincam model.
Sullivj
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times
Great Britain

Re: Replacement front discs for twincam

Post by Sullivj »

How many miles have you done on the existing discs MarkW?

I'm sure you know that they are supposed to 'float' slightly. I have a 2012, but I don't hear mine knocking.
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 540 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I had galfer discs on the TL1000s

Fantastic stopping power and quality
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 379 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MarkW wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:05 pmThe bobbins on my originals appear to be riveted on and thus not replaceable but is there a workaround that I am perhaps unaware of.
The Disc Doctor, https://www.thediscdoctor.co.uk/Bobbins.htm may be able to help.

"We offer a full range of replacement Disc Bobbins, CNC Machined in a wide range of sizes to fit all bikes.
Also Oversized Bobbins to remove excessive play in worn Discs."
MarkW
Great Britain

Post by MarkW »

Sullivj wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:37 pm How many miles have you done on the existing discs MarkW?

I'm sure you know that they are supposed to 'float' slightly. I have a 2012, but I don't hear mine knocking.
The bike has done just over 60k. I'm aware of the floating nature on these, having come from many years on an r1100rt, and I'm not anxious about either performance or safety as they are - it's the low speed clonking over speed bumps and the like that just annoys. I'm funny like that ;)
MarkW
Great Britain

Post by MarkW »

David. wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:21 pm The Disc Doctor, https://www.thediscdoctor.co.uk/Bobbins.htm may be able to help.

"We offer a full range of replacement Disc Bobbins, CNC Machined in a wide range of sizes to fit all bikes.
Also Oversized Bobbins to remove excessive play in worn Discs."
That's interesting David, thank you, will give him a shout when I'm back from holiday week after next.
MarkW
Great Britain

Post by MarkW »

Thanks for the replies chaps, most helpful.

The bike's due it's MOT in a couple of weeks, and this is the only thing that is any kind of concern. I've been picked up before on the same issue with my previous bike - 1100RT - and got an advisory for "excessive rotational play". It really does depend on what mood my guy is in though. When i got the advisory I ignored it, and it was never mentioned again despite me not making any changes in the following 2 or 3 years :roll:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Am sure I fitted EBC disc to the rear. I had Galfer pads on my Tiger 1050 and hated the feel. Changed to EBC HH. Transformed the braking
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Loopers
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLe 2023
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by Loopers »

You were lucky you only got an advisory, side to side play is allowable but rotational wear is actually a reason for failure as technically it effects the performance of the brakes.
Sorry I don't have any opinion on the Galfor discs as the only ones I have knowledge of are the wave type and wasn't interested in them but that was a couple of years ago.
I did fit EBC replacements to my ST1300 Pan and they were a good replacement, performed well and were easy enough to fit.