EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 281 times
Wales

Wet/dry Weather Riding

Post by EasyRider »

I use to ride in all weathers, even when it was snowing.
But in 2012 when i bought my brand new Honda VFR1200F-C i stopped and only went out in the dry.
I got to the point that my bike had to stay spotless and only needed a damp cloth to get the dust off.
I have found this a very hard habbit to get out of, but i'm getting there.
My Honda XL1000 winter hack get used unless its icey. It just gets a hosedown when salt is on the road and loads of FS365.
I'm now getting better with the RT. I wont go out if its raining, but if it wet or starts to rain when i'm out i dont mind.
Is it a getting older thing as i now hate washing the bikes as i always cut my hands on something.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 540 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Re: Wet/dry Weather Riding

Post by Stu »

I used to only ride between March and September until I got the RT

Now I'm sat in your neck of the woods looking at the rain deciding where to go 😂☔
Sullivj
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

If you live in Wales and only took your VFR out in the dry, it must have super low mileage! :lol:
Panman40
Subscriber
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 56 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

EasyRider wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:49 am I use to ride in all weathers, even when it was snowing.
But in 2012 when i bought my brand new Honda VFR1200F-C i stopped and only went out in the dry.
I got to the point that my bike had to stay spotless and only needed a damp cloth to get the dust off.
I have found this a very hard habbit to get out of, but i'm getting there.
My Honda XL1000 winter hack get used unless its icey. It just gets a hosedown when salt is on the road and loads of FS365.
I'm now getting better with the RT. I wont go out if its raining, but if it wet or starts to rain when i'm out i dont mind.
Is it a getting older thing as i now hate washing the bikes as i always cut my hands on something.
In 42 years of riding many bikes the RT is the worst bike to wash I’ve known!. I don’t ride in the rain or even if it’s forecast, luckily when we had a few nights away in Cornwall the weather was great, although a seagull did crap all over it 🙄
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

I learnt a life lesson a whle back with a Triumph I bought, was the first brand new bike I had bought for 15 years..... kept it immaculate, avoided rain etc, sprayed with WD40 after washing and drying..... when I traded it in it wasn't worth any more than the one next to it :shock:

So now I use my bikes, still don't go out when its raining unless I have arranged to meet up for a run, thats what I have a car for, use the best tool you have availabe to you. I ride in winter, heated jacket sorts that out. I was out on the RT last weekend with Jeans (armoured) on and the heavens opened... didnt get that wet, the fairing does a good job as long as your moving. The RT gets snow foamed and jet washed after a winter run or if splattered with flies, now and then I will hand wash it..... a lot easier to keep clean than my Thruxton ........ now thats a different story.... full time job keeping this cean.

IMG_6212.jpg
IMG_6212.jpg (174.6 KiB) Viewed 666 times