EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 281 times
Wales

Loving the mpg

Post by EasyRider »

The days of me racing around are long gone and Artie is the right bike for me at this time.
Keeping to the back roads at between 40 & 50 mph on Artie is very relaxing.
When i was out on my own yesterday Artie returned 72.4 mpg. After going out again with the wife, It was down to 70.2 mpg.
I felt like i was riding an automatic as the only time i changed gear was when we had to slow right down or stop.
Keeping the revs between 2 & 2.5k gave the best mpg return. I had also removed the topbox which i think helped.

With how much fuel costs, i am liking the mpg return i am getting on Artie. When i had my Gen2 Hayabusa the avg mpg was around 45mpg taking it easy or 30mpg or less when pushing it. So getting 60% plus more on Artie is great. The worst mpg i have had on Artie was 56mpg pushing it, and at 80mph on the m-way it was still over 62mpg.
Artie is getting about the same mpg as the wife 600cc yamaha. When we go out we fill up at the same time after doing the same amount of miles and it cost about £1.50 more to fill Artie up than the XJ6F, which for a bigger bike is great.

I can see why some people only keep them for a short time as there a big old bus. But once you get over the size of it IMO no other bike will do and owners keep them for years. I can see me putting loads of miles on Artie
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 379 times
Great Britain

Re: Loving the mpg

Post by David. »

Are these mpg figure from the onboard BC, if so, have they been confirmed by a physical fuel tank "brim to brim" test.
David. wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:04 pmHave done a comparison between Tesco & BP (both highest octane rating) fuel over the same 100 miles with the cruise control set at 70 MPH.
Returned 59.9 MPG & 64.6 MPG respectively, using the physical full to full method.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Well the other day when i did 145 miles, The onboard info was just over 62mpg.
It cost me £16.01 to fill the bike back to the same level at £1.54 per ltr of super.
So £16.01 was 10.4 ltrs which works out at 63mpg UK (4.546 ltrs) .
So i would say the bike info is nearly spot on, give or take a couple of mpg.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 79 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

David. wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:04 pm Returned 59.9 MPG & 64.6 MPG respectively, using the physical full to full method.
That's almost exactly what I get out of my 1250. Near enough 60mpg ridden normally, 65 if I'm being a good boy on an IAM run, but at motorway speeds this drop this down a bit, 55mpg, maybe a tad less.

Interesting observation about the effect of a top box and MPG. I tend to ride with panniers and just put the top box on when I need it. Truth be told they're big old boxes, sticking out into the wind and can't be good for MPG, however, we have to assume BMW did some form of wind tunnel testing and on a bike like an RT where they are an integral part of the bike, do they actually assist aerodynamics? I doubt a top box does, but panniers might.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

I brimed it again yesterday before going for my rides. I will brim it before the next ride and see how close the onboard info of 70mpg is to how much fuel i have to put it.
Because i brim it before every ride i will keep a close eye on the mpg going by how much fuel i use.
Will do this for the rest of the summer. I fill up at the same place before every ride.

edit...

I will say im very soft on the throttle, and also i build my speed up slowly.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

My old girl gets a steady 59mph on country routes and on a long run about 62/63mph. To be honest I would care if I was only getting 30mph. None owner think the RT is a Titanic of bikes but that is far from true. It's a tourer, sports and back lane rocket. It's the most versatile bike you can buy.
My mate has a 2023 Busa on our first ride out on A,B roads he was shocked he couldn't lose me. That was until we hit the straight and he was gone.
who needs 200bhp to have fun, not me.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 27 times
Wales

Post by slparry »

From my place to our regular first hotel stop in Scotland is 227 miles, I fill with E5 on longer trips and regularly get to the hotel with 50 miles remaining before I hit reserve. This gives me a nice buffer to find petrol the next day at the mornings coffee stop.

On the motorway nowadays I sit dead on 70 according to the sat nav and haven't found any difference in arrival times from when I used to go faster. What is nicer is it's more relaxed and you don't have to worry about trafpol on bridges :D
Steve Parry, Triumph Chester, current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Touring for hundreds of miles at a time with luggage and panniers was getting me high 50s when mile crunching and doing motorway speeds, this climbed dramatically into high 60s when I was on A roads and sticking to 45/60mph. 300 miles per tank is a common figure, but most of the time I'm filling before 250 to stay in line with my mates, and when touring you can easily do 30/40 miles without seeing an open fuel station, so no point in pushing it.

I've just had my bike mapped also and was recommended to move onto premium petrol instead of the E10 I was using, I'm not sure how my milage has changed - marginally I would expect, but if I can off set the extra cost of the E5 I'd be happy, but not overly concerned :lol:
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 540 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Consistently 59 MPG according to the readout on the dash no matter how I ride!

perfect for touring :)
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 39 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I've had the bike for just over a year and have used it almost exclusively in and around London. It's getting low 40s at best. I'm off to West Cork next week and will be interested to see how it does on a decent run...... and test the estimated range/fuel gauge!
Panman40
Subscriber
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 56 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

The 1250rt is the most economical bike I’ve ridden, I rarely ride hard and when the wife’s on pillion it’s sedate and as smooth as I can be… talking of fuel I’ve been using mostly 97/98 octane but the odd tank of 95, yesterday I used shell 99 and the more miles I did the less smooth the motor seemed, especially noticeable was the transition of the shiftcam, I won’t be using that again.
Steve398
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 315 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Our 1200 is showing 56mpg although that’s following a recent 2-up fully-laden tour.

Incidentally some of the fuel prices in Italy and Greece were a bit frightening, up to around £2.20 a litre on the motorways, so we obviously tried to avoid those whenever possible. France was generally cheaper, particularly in the supermarkets, where you can generally get a cake and a decent cup of coffee too!
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 284 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Steve398 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:14 am Our 1200 is showing 56mpg although that’s following a recent 2-up fully-laden tour.

Incidentally some of the fuel prices in Italy and Greece were a bit frightening, up to around £2.20 a litre on the motorways, so we obviously tried to avoid those whenever possible. France was generally cheaper, particularly in the supermarkets, where you can generally get a cake and a decent cup of coffee too!
I found the motorways in France to hover around the £2.10 a few weeks back.And yes,I thoroughly agree about the coffee n cakes.Off to Hungary in a couple of weeks in the van,will defo not fill that up 9n the motorway.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Blimey....
I must have hole in my tank!
I thought the 50.4mpg I consistently get was pretty good :shock:
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

So as i said the other day i did 105 miles and the bike was showing 70.2mpg.

Went out this morning for a ride and filled it up first like i do on every ride.

It cost me £11.00 to fill it back up, which was 7.15ltrs.

This works out at 1.573 uk gallons.

Which gave me a real world mpg of 66.8mpg.

This means that the bike over read the mpg by 3.4mpg

So if i carry on riding like i am. At 66mpg i should get over 350 miles to a tank if i run it dry.

But anything over 250 miles to a tank i will be very happy with.