General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Minty
Bike Model and Year: 2017 FJR1300 AE
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Preaching to the converted.

Post by Minty »

It's been about a month since I picked up the rt and I have to say, I like it, I've not bonded with it yet, still get the odd wobble! It is heavy but, compared to the FJR, it's a lot lighter.

It's sat in the garage at the moment at just over 600 miles, waiting for it's running in service on 2nd August, I should have booked in when I picked it up but there you go...I was told to keep under 750 and I'll be ok, it's 60 miles to the dealer so I can have another bimble this weekend 😁

Some observations in 600 miles.

Virtually no tyre noise. I bought my first bmw, a gs in 2022 but had to sell it after 7 month's due to the horrendous tyre noise. I did try the dealers own bike at the time with different tyres but it was still bad, even with custom earplugs. I thought the rt with a similar looking chassis might be the same!

I like the tubular bars, just for aesthetics really.

Gearbox is nice.

Heated seat is nice but heats up slow.

Handling is very good.

Damping it not as good as the gs, a bit disappointed about that if I'm honest. It can crash/bottom out over sharp bumps/holes in the road but, is that due to less suspension travel compared to a gs!

Shift assist is ok from 3rd up, as other people have said.

I really do like the engine, it fits my sort of riding style nowadays, I can't be bothered chasing rpm's anymore. The torque is pretty much the same figure as the FJR but it's so much more accessible. Mpg is good too.

One question I have, is it ok to have the ignition on with the charger plugged into the fairing socket? I have the bmw charger that I got as part of the gs deal.

I'm sure there's other stuff but I need to get into the garage and dig a hole for a ground anchor, insurance are asking for it, I've never had any kind of security in a garage in nearly 30 years riding, other than the steering lock.

Paul.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Re: Preaching to the converted.

Post by scunny12 »

Insurers have never demanded anything like that to me, or my friends. Do you live in Harehills Leeds? :o
Minty
Great Britain

Post by Minty »

scunny12 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:31 pm Insurers have never demanded anything like that to me, or my friends. Do you live in Harehills Leeds? :o
😂
Luckily no, but not that far away, Featherstone. We are looking to move though, which is a shame, I've lived here all my life but, I'm seeing the area go downhill.

It must be the value of the bike maybe!

One more thing, I bought the bike without a top box, I wasn't going to pay for the bmw one even at the £750 they offered it to me for. I installed the givi top rack and mounted my trusty old E52 maxia top box, now I'm noticing a bit of a floaty weaving sensation at motorway speeds, nothing dangerous just something to get used to.

Paul
scunny12
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

I suspect tyres rather than a top box for your symptoms. Are you using 36 front and 42 psi rear and what riding mode are you using?
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 540 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have had the floaty weaving feeling

Odly only with the top box and panniers and stock screen

Haven't felt it since!

I have never ridden with the panniers on my own with the top box and stock screen after I picked it up

Done silly speeds with a different screen and top box but no weave
scunny12
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Never had a problem with my BMW top box , panniers and standard screen with any lightness or weave. I do find that if tyre pressure is slightly low it does drop into corners more.
Minty
Great Britain

Post by Minty »

Thanks for the replies.
Tyre pressures are standard as per the book, top box but no panniers, riding mode was road. I like road over dynamic. I would like dynamic throttle with road suspension though.

Been out this morning, tried dynamic, still floaty at motorway speed, its not upsetting the bike, just an odd feeling, like the Pan weave from the ST1300.

640 miles on it now so it'll have to stay garaged for a couple of weeks, don't want to risk it with warranty, it'll be over 700 by the time its done the 60 miles to the dealer.

Getting used to it now, not really missing the FJR 👍🏻

Paul.
CanDoc
Bike Model and Year: 2024 R1250 RT
Canada

Post by CanDoc »

I also have the weave from side to side. It is as though you are weaving through a very tight series of pylons. It is present at both highway speeds and slow crawling speeds. At highway speed it doesn’t bother me too much but at lets say 25 kph and slower it’s more disconcerting. Also it seems even more pronounced with my wife on the back seat at slow speeds.I keep my tire pressures spot on. Not being a motorcycle mechanic my only guess is the tires might be the culprit , so my second set of tires will be from a different manufacturer to see if that “ fixes “ it. That won’t happen though until the end of the 2025 season though.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 281 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

I think you guys need to eat more pie's :lol: :lol:
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Glenn
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2019
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 131 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

I've not noticed any weaving on my RT with or without panniers/topbox, I'm 6'1" and around 200lbs - 14st 5lbs if that makes any difference.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I get slight weaving over 110 mph(Germany). Just feels like the wife is moving a bit.But my top box is a 56ltr aftermarket jobbie. All depends on the wing.
Insurance. Has never asked me to have extra security to be fitted. I have CCTV in my garage and even that didn't drop my payment.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

2019 R1250RT,

No weaving, but the bike is very light when moving.

As for insurance. The insurance company wanted to see a photo of my garage at my home and a photo of Artie in said garage.
This was the first time i have been asked to prove where i kept any of my motorcycles.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Minty
Great Britain

Post by Minty »

I'm assuming the insurance is down to the value of the bike being a smidge over 20 thousand, I've never had a bike that cost this much before! My garage is pretty secure and there's my car blocking the way out. I did write off my lovely GTR1400 (£198 to insure) in 2016 but that shouldn't be affecting my premium now.

I can't really use the bike until next Friday due to the miles but I'll put the top box on for the trip to the dealers and see how it feels on the motorway. It didn't upset me when it started weaving, it was more of a, oh it does this at speed 🤷
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

You asked about the fairing socket for charging, I bought an optimate apparently it wakes up the can bus and allows charging through the socket….. all above my pay grade but seems to work.
IMG_6173.jpeg
IMG_6173.jpeg (140.97 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Gavj wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:07 pm You asked about the fairing socket for charging, I bought an optimate apparently it wakes up the can bus and allows charging through the socket….. all above my pay grade but seems to work.

IMG_6173.jpeg
Been using the same one for over 3 years. Plug in and forget. Mine is fitted to the battery by rat tails.

You lot must live in dodgy area for insurance companies to be so fussy. Most thefts around here is garden equipment. The local community Police told me that only 4 cars and 1 MC have been stolen within the last 7 years.
No I've put the mockers on that. Off to triple lock the bike down and sit outside with my shotgun. :lol:
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.