ESA - Changing Default Mode?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 79 times
Great Britain

ESA - Changing Default Mode?

Post by Capt Sisko »

Hi All,
When I start my '18 R1250RT the ESA defaults to 'Dynamic' mode, but for general riding I prefer the 'Road' mode. This means every ride I have to change it. Okay, that's not the hardest job in the world to do, but it would be nice if I could change it so it defaulted to Road mode. Problem is, I just can't see how to change it. Any suggestions?
ESA Modes.jpg
ESA Modes.jpg (256.37 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

Note: I'm not referring to the riding modes, Rain, Road or that particular Dynamic mode (stupid idea to have to modes with the same name) nor am I referring to the spring loads. Generally I leave that on Auto.
Lastly where the manual says see Engineering Details --> Pg 140, (see photo) there's no information on how to change the default setting there either.
Panman40
Subscriber
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 56 times
Great Britain

Re: ESA - Changing Default Mode?

Post by Panman40 »

On my 19 1250 whilst riding along on the overrun I select esa with the menu button - use the wonder wheel to toggle to Road then select it, it won’t change unless your on a closed throttle though. So my setting is Road, dynamic esa and auto, this shows as default every startup.
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 540 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I always thought the default setting was road!

But having changed it then the bike should keep this setting until you change it again
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Stu wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:26 am I always thought the default setting was road!

But having changed it then the bike should keep this setting until you change it again
It does that with the riding mode, but the ESA mode always defaults back to Dyna. One thing I'm going to try tomorrow is to swap the spring rate from Auto to Minimum. Maybe being in Auto it defaults to Dyna and forcing into Min sets in to Road. I don't know but it's worth a try. The other option is the bike is due for a service soon, perhaps it's something the mechanic can change with GS-911 diagnostic tool and the previous owner had it set for his preference. No harm in asking anyway.
Panman40
Subscriber
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 56 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Capt Sisko wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:30 pm It does that with the riding mode, but the ESA mode always defaults back to Dyna. One thing I'm going to try tomorrow is to swap the spring rate from Auto to Minimum. Maybe being in Auto it defaults to Dyna and forcing into Min sets in to Road. I don't know but it's worth a try. The other option is the bike is due for a service soon, perhaps it's something the mechanic can change with GS-911 diagnostic tool and the previous owner had it set for his preference. No harm in asking anyway.
Very strange, it should stay set to what you last chose, mine does and that’s with the spring in auto, I’m sure you’ll soon get fed up with road esa though if it’s anything like mine, hardly any rebound damping at all which makes for a wallowy ride.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 281 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

What ever setting i had my 1250RT set to, it stays on that setting even after turning the bike off and going back to it the next day.
Maybe you do need a GS-911 test to see if there are any faults as not all faults give you a warning light on the dash.

Do you have any members near you with a GS-911 that could help you. I think i'm a bit to far away.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Capt Sisko wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:30 pm ...One thing I'm going to try tomorrow is to swap the spring rate from Auto to Minimum. Maybe being in Auto it defaults to Dyna and forcing into Min sets in to Road. I don't know but it's worth a try. .....
Well that didn't work. I tried as many combinations as could, yes the spring rate stays at what it was previously set at, so does the riding mode, but no, the ESA always goes back to DYNA. One thing I did find though was putting the bike in Minimum for the spring load, Rain for riding mode, and Road for ESA doesn't half smooth out the bumps.

Okay, loaded, two up or pressing on and things would be different, but today I was really out for just a potter around. That potter turned into a 180miles tour of North Wales and I definitely don't remember the roads there being so smooth.