Newby

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
Gdog
Bike Model and Year: R1150rt
Great Britain

Newby

Post by Gdog »

Hi all, nice to be here. Recently retired and looking for a 1200rt to do some longer trips on. Have seen a few of the ex police bikes advertised, are they worth considering or potential money pits, your thoughts would be appreciated.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Re: Newby

Post by Doctor T »

A worm welcome to our site.
Problem with EX Police bikes is most are very basis and changing them to normal RT i.e rear seat and bigger panniers is going to be expensive. Also there is loads more wiring that's just been cut off. One plus is the have been looked after. I've owned a few 100RT/80Rt police bikes in the past for London Courier bikes and they were perfect for the job.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

As above, there are pros and cons, if your really trying to do it on the cheap them they are an option, personally I'd just pay a little more for a lower milage example with no extra parts required or wiring to sort :cheers:
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 284 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Gdog wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:05 pm Hi all, nice to be here. Recently retired and looking for a 1200rt to do some longer trips on. Have seen a few of the ex police bikes advertised, are they worth considering or potential money pits, your thoughts would be appreciated.
My "16 plate" is currently for sale, 22k on the clock with full service history.Its a proper RT,not one you're going to buy then have to mess about with.

And welcome.