New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
StatiK
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by StatiK »

I just picked up a 2007 R1200RT with 31k on the clock this week. I hope to be a helpful contributing member to this community and I already appreciate how much help I've gotten from this forum in my searches.
StatiK
United States of America

Re: New member

Post by StatiK »

While I'm introducing myself, maybe I can get my first NOOB question out of the way. Are there any aftermarket tank bags that use the BMW attachment system? I really like this system but the OEM BMW tank bag is just kind of OK in my opinion. I get the advantages but it lacks in only having one compartment and of course the map pouch plastic is yellowed and the waterproof material loose on the inside is annoying. I haven't found any searching but maybe there's a source that's not coming up. Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 379 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If the BMW OEM tank bag is junk, remove the base and fit it to an aftermarket tank bag of your choice, thus retaining the tank rail and bag base fitting.
StatiK
United States of America

Post by StatiK »

I wondered if that might be an option. I haven't looked at how the base attaches but I will take a look. Thank you.
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Welcome to the forum, no idea about tank bags though :cheers:
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 79 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Hi and Welcome.

Ref Tank Bags. - Be wary of the tank bag & switches interface at full lock. An accidental honk on the horn is embarrassing, catching the kill switch could be a lot worse. Obviously the larger the tank bag the worse it could be, but also consider the shape. I had a sort of bulb shaped from my previous bike which was fine on that, but the wide part of the bulb caught on the RT. On some bikes you can rotate the switchgear a little to avoid the problem, but unless you go for both very small and soft tank bag it's almost unavoidable.That said, loads of people use them so it can't be that much of a problem, but it's something to keep in mind.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 42 times
United States of America

Post by Randyjaco »

Welcome from Friendswood, Texas :cheers: