General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Indicators always on

Post by Gavj »

Not my RT but a mates Honda, went for a run with him and noticed that his front indicators are permanently lit? Obviously the one flashes when he indicates. I didn’t think this was legal, done a googly and found this

Technically the indicators that are always on are illegal in the UK. Law states that this should only be a white light for vehicles that are non-emergency etc. So having the indicators permanently on can land you in trouble by the British police if they can be bothered to pull you over

His bike is a brand new, unmodified Honda from a uk dealer…..
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 539 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Re: Indicators always on

Post by Stu »

Classed as daytime running lights a lot of manufacturers are doing this now
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 79 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Gavj wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:00 am UK Law states that this should only be a white light for vehicles that are non-emergency etc.
His bike is a brand new, unmodified Honda from a uk dealer…..
Yellow lights are also acceptable for front headlights & fog lights, but as far as I'm aware DRLs have to be white. According to the gov.uk MOT guidelines, a bike that has DRLs that emit a colour is recorded as a 'minor' come MOT time.

The regs do allow for dual use lights, i.e. one white bulb (or LED) for the DRL & one amber for the indicator to be built within the same lighting unit and as long as they're the right colour when doing their bit that's fine. Indicators however must emit amber. If they don't that's a 'major' and thus MOT fail.

So, what colour are the front indicators that are permanently lit when acting as DRL? If they're amber, how have Honda got around the regulations and what's going to happen come MOT time?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... -equipment
simbo
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 135 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

My indicators are permanently on on my 23 model GS, they're like running lights and only flash when the indicator switch is pressed.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

simbo wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:39 am My indicators are permanently on on my 23 model GS, they're like running lights and only flash when the indicator switch is pressed.
I was going to say that I am sure newer BMW indicators are on all the time.

Years ago I bought a Grey imported Honda from the states. Even back then it had the indicators as running lights. Due to this I had a big off due to a driver thinking I was indicating left at a junction. It was on the A11 just coming out of London. I was doing the max speed of 40 mph. I hit the front wing and flew like superman through the air. Remember back then there was no protection except for a helmet. I landed 20 foot away on my feet, British gymnastics would have be proud of me. Luckily I only had bruised wrists.
Nowadays most bikes use their indicators as running lamps and due to the above I would disconnect these. They are too easy for incoming traffic to make the same mistake as the driver that hit me.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
simbo
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 135 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I'm pretty sure bmw will turn the running light function off if you ask them while it's in being serviced, I've heard of others having them turned off so they only work as indicators.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Once upon a time (we're talking R1100RT) I paid for a gadget to allow me to use the yellow indicators as DRLs.

Then a white van pulled out in front of me thinking that I was about to turn left into a side road.

This left me thinking that yellow DRLs are not necessarily a safety aid.

White DRLs or driving lights mounted on crash bars (or forks) give a broader "triangle of light" and, based on experience, are more effective.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 379 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The rear "Mickey Mouse" indicators on a GS are just as bad as the front. When the brake light is shown (part of the same light unit), it masks the flashing direction indicator.

On the front, when one indicator is flashing, the other remains illuminated permanently, very confusing.
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Agree. The GS has badly designed rear lights. It was the same setup on the R1800 I had for a weekend.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 39 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

beemerboy9 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:55 am Once upon a time (we're talking R1100RT) I paid for a gadget to allow me to use the yellow indicators as DRLs.

Then a white van pulled out in front of me thinking that I was about to turn left into a side road.

This left me thinking that yellow DRLs are not necessarily a safety aid.
I've noticed that on a lot of cars - particularly Range Rovers lately. A quick glance gives the impression of a vehicle that is indicating.
My other pet peeve is very bright DRLs that make the indicators very difficult to see. The Nissan Qashqai of a few years ago is one of the worst offenders - a V-shaped LED DRL with the indicator in the inside corner of the V. It certainly makes the mini roundabouts on the school run entertaining!
Doctor T
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've got the new style Citroen C5 with V DRL. the rear is the same. When I indicate one side goes off. It's very confusing for oncoming traffic. The rear is a joke. The indicator is so small as surprised I haven't been rear ended by now. Design over purpose yet again.