Oil Smell

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
paulmarler
Bike Model and Year: 2005 1200rt
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Oil Smell

Post by paulmarler »

as a new to me owner and first BMW R1200RT i wanted to follow up on service of the bike. i started by checking changing the oil. when drained i could tell it was indeed changed somewhat recently but still felt better as was doing this myself and would know %100 its done.
after the service ( new oil, crush washer and BMW oil filter) when running the bike at temp i can smell oil, so when cooled investigated where its coming from. after an inspection i cant seem to find a leak, heads, oil filter housing, drain, ect. im located in Pennsylvania and this year has been more humid than others so maybe that is it?
i check the oil level and seems to be fine, still a golden color. im stumped??? :?

this normal for a 2005 rt?
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Re: Oil Smell

Post by Doctor T »

Spilt any oil on the exhaust underneath the engine? or spayed anything near the engine?
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
paulmarler
United States of America

Post by paulmarler »

hi doc, no i was pretty certain to clean off the oil filter location and under the engine when it was drained. reaching hand in the crevices i dont see any oil at all just reg dirt. i put in Castrol Power1 V-Twin 20W-50 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. nothing looks like its leaked on exhaust.
maybe this is just the way it is with this oil and the high humidity here in pa?
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 539 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

If you have no visible leaks then I wouldn't worry about it

You may just have remnants from when you did the change and a good ride will burn it off
Sharkfighter
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I get a burnt oil smell from mine now and then, when I'm stationary, smelt it this morning when I got home after doing 35 miles. There's no sign of a leak and the levels ok. I don't worry about it, I could always use a peg, problem solved. :lol:
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 281 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Could it be coming from the breather pipe on the engine cases. I'm not sure where or if the RT has one. just a thought ?
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Sharkfighter
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

EasyRider wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:42 am Could it be coming from the breather pipe on the engine cases. I'm not sure where or if the RT has one. just a thought ?
That was my thought, as it happens so infrequently.
paulmarler
United States of America

Post by paulmarler »

thank you all for your insights, never thought of breather. i took a long ride this weekend to northeast maryland with zero issues and oil level is the same. i appreciate this group and have read a lot of good things here ! :thumb: