RT Settings Need to be Reset Everyday ???

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Motor32
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT '23
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

RT Settings Need to be Reset Everyday ???

Post by Motor32 »

Hey Guys,

Before my latest trip, I took my bike in for service, and they also updated the software to 014-013-030. On my trip everyday, I would have to go into the settings, and turn on (Checking the box), for the "Comfort turn indicator", and also the radio (See photos). This was a PITA if I forgot to do it before heading out, as you would have to pull over to do it, as the bike can't be moving to adjust vehicle settings.

Has anyone else having this issue, or am I not doing something correctly, as I didn't have to mess around with this before???

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Attachments
IMG_9498.jpg
IMG_9498.jpg (133.35 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
IMG_9499.jpg
IMG_9499.jpg (163.26 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
IMG_9497.jpg
IMG_9497.jpg (128.55 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
Motor32
United States of America

Re: RT Settings Need to be Reset Everyday ???

Post by Motor32 »

I wrote down all of my settings, and then did a factory reset. I then reprogrammed my settings, and will check them all in the morning, fingers crossed.

Steve
Totaled TL
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Totaled TL »

Yes. Sometimes the radio turned itself ON after an ign. cycle even if I had it OFF prior to shutdn. The radio vol. would start at approx. half scale. The eq. & vol. settings would often reset to 0.
Dealer updated SW to ver. 14_12_21 in June & so far these issues have been resolved.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Totaled TL wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:42 am Yes. Sometimes the radio turned itself ON after an ign. cycle even if I had it OFF prior to shutdn. The radio vol. would start at approx. half scale. The eq. & vol. settings would often reset to 0.
Dealer updated SW to ver. 14_12_21 in June & so far these issues have been resolved.

That's good to know, thanks.

Steve
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

I checked the settings today after the bike was sitting overnight, and once again my setting was deleted. Called the dealer who worked on my bike, and they submitted a complaint to BMW (I'm not holding my breath). He also said they only update the software once a year, I'm not sure about that either.

Steve
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

This is the reply I received from BMW USA, a joke:

Hi Steven,

Thanks for writing to BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2023 BMW Motorrad R 1250 RT. I'm very sorry to read of your concerns and the issues you've been experiencing with your bike.

Please know that while we do understand the importance of your concerns, we’re unable to offer technical assistance for your bike, as we rely solely on the service teams at our authorized BMW Motorrad centers to assist our owners with maintaining, diagnosing, and repairing our products.

Our service teams go through extensive product training and courses to be able to provide our valued customers with the technical assistance that BMW Motorrad Customer Relations cannot. As a result, we recommend contacting your local authorized center for further assistance.

If you do not have a preferred BMW Motorrad Center, please visit www.bmwmotorcycles.com.

I sincerely apologize that we're unable to provide any additional information or assistance in this case, but I hope this matter is resolved for you very soon, Steven.

Should you need to contact Customer Relations and Services again, you can reach us at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.

Kind regards,

Lindsey
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

BUILD YOUR OWN ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE.
Design the BMW of your dreams at www.bmwusa.com.
lancashirert
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE 2018
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

I mailed BMW UK about a product query. Similar reply. Can’t help, speak to a dealer - here’s a link.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

lancashirert wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 10:32 pm I mailed BMW UK about a product query. Similar reply. Can’t help, speak to a dealer - here’s a link.
It's a shame that's how they ALWAYS choose to deal with problems, pass it along to someone else.

Steve
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 3 times
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

I have exactly the same problem with my 2023 R1250RT resetting the Comfort Turn Indicator to the off position each day. I suspect somehow there is a software bug that causes this reset at the same time the trip #2 data gets reset. It doesn't reset when the bike is stopped and restarted, just when it is left overnight. I thought I was going mad. or madder.

This started after the last software upgrade in July so is probably a bug. I am talking to the dealer tomorrow.
Yes same software version 014_013_30

I also noticed that this software version clears the split screen at the same time as it resets the comfort indicators to OFF. On previous software it kept the split screen mode indefinitely between trips and days, and I always ride with navigation map in right section of screen. So every new day as well as turning comfort indicators ON I have to push the wonder wheel 3 times to the right to get the map screen up. Pretty ordinary coders at BMW me thinks.

I think Steve and I just happen to be the first to pick this up and work out its actually a fault. Has taken me 4 weeks to realise I wasn't failing to turn the option ON, and it was indeed the bike turning it OFF between trips. Including resetting the split screen.

Grant
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Jggpossum wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:31 am I have exactly the same problem with my 2023 R1250RT resetting the Comfort Turn Indicator to the off position each day. I suspect somehow there is a software bug that causes this reset at the same time the trip #2 data gets reset. It doesn't reset when the bike is stopped and restarted, just when it is left overnight. I thought I was going mad. or madder.

This started after the last software upgrade in July so is probably a bug. I am talking to the dealer tomorrow.
Yes same software version 014_013_30

I also noticed that this software version clears the split screen at the same time as it resets the comfort indicators to OFF. On previous software it kept the split screen mode indefinitely between trips and days, and I always ride with navigation map in right section of screen. So every new day as well as turning comfort indicators ON I have to push the wonder wheel 3 times to the right to get the map screen up. Pretty ordinary coders at BMW me thinks.

I think Steve and I just happen to be the first to pick this up and work out its actually a fault. Has taken me 4 weeks to realise I wasn't failing to turn the option ON, and it was indeed the bike turning it OFF between trips. Including resetting the split screen.

Grant

Thanks for posting your issues. I'll pass this along to the BMW rep I've been dealing with, and maybe they'll send out an update. I don't bother to connect my phone to the bike anymore, with all the problems with it losing the Wifi, and having to mess around getting it all connected back up after a stop. I use a Garmin Zumo XT (GPS signal, NOT Wifi) and it always works, and is very user friendly.

Steve

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Motor32 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:02 pm This is the reply I received from BMW USA, a joke:

Hi Steven,

Thanks for writing to BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2023 BMW Motorrad R 1250 RT. I'm very sorry to read of your concerns and the issues you've been experiencing with your bike.

Please know that while we do understand the importance of your concerns, we’re unable to offer technical assistance for your bike, as we rely solely on the service teams at our authorized BMW Motorrad centers to assist our owners with maintaining, diagnosing, and repairing our products.

Our service teams go through extensive product training and courses to be able to provide our valued customers with the technical assistance that BMW Motorrad Customer Relations cannot. As a result, we recommend contacting your local authorized center for further assistance.

If you do not have a preferred BMW Motorrad Center, please visit www.bmwmotorcycles.com.

I sincerely apologize that we're unable to provide any additional information or assistance in this case, but I hope this matter is resolved for you very soon, Steven.

Should you need to contact Customer Relations and Services again, you can reach us at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.

Kind regards,

Lindsey
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

BUILD YOUR OWN ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE.
Design the BMW of your dreams at www.bmwusa.com.
BULSH#T :twisted:
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

Steve

I understand why you abandoned using the mobile phone option to stream navigation. It is unreliable at best.

I use it with an old dedicated iPhone 8 and only for navigation (ie no music streaming). I make sure my other iPhone 13 , which I use for music streaming to earphones, has wifi turned OFF. Essential step otherwise it confuses the TFT.

This configuration always connects to the TFT flawlessly. Note the iPhone 8 must not have a wifi pairing to any other network especially my home wifi when I try to start the system. Also confuses the TFT.

When I stop on a ride it will reconnect ok providing the iPhone screen hasn’t timed out. 5-10 minutes I think. If I stop for half an hour for lunch. I just open the charging bay and touch the screen to wake it up. iPhone 8 has old fashioned fingerprint home button which is perfect so I don’t have to use facial recognition involving removing phone from compartment.

With current software and TFT version I get asked if I want to try reconnecting for those rare occasions when a stray radio signal has interrupted the connection. I select YES with the wonder wheel and it always reconnects.

Overall pretty ordinary, convoluted and sub standard but I can live with it. :roll:

Grant
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

After further thought I realised that my problems started well before the upgrade to 014_013_030

I had to have the keyless ride module replaced in May and it took 6 weeks and the final step was reprogramming the bike using a laptop and software that connects to Berlin (so I was told). Since then I have had the Comfort Indicator and split screen overnight resets. The mid July upgrade to 014_013_030 didn't change anything.

Dealer is going to troubleshoot when his head technician is back from leave.

I think the software update in May had a glitch which left some firmware flags set incorrectly, Dealer says this sometimes happens and sometimes there is actually a software problem but BMW is not particularly forthcoming on answers, so they have to do a lot of the troubleshooting themselves. makes sense. My BMW workshop here in Hornsby/Sydney are very sharp at fixing issues and I expect once they start looking at the bike they will nail the issue pretty quickly

I will update you when I know more.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Hey Grant,

Someone else who is also having this issue, told me that his dealer is going to reinstall the software, and see if that works.

Steve
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

I suspect that will fix the issue providing the reinstall resets every possible option and flag. If this were a bug in the software I think we would have seen a lot more posts and the dealerships would have started to experience widespread feedback. My workshop guy is pretty sure it will be a glitch in the software install rather than a bug. Not unheard of.