General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
lancashirert
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE 2018
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Two day owner grumbles and gripes

Post by lancashirert »

I'm actually happy with the bike, but why let that get in the way of a good grumble!

Few thing as I noticed on my 100 mile ride home with it and a local potter following my daughter on her new Vespa LX50 as she builds road confidence. Actually, the first thing we both noticed on the way home. The rear protection bars sit between the pannier and the footrest, so you can end up heel kicking your pillion when putting feet up and down! They do detach easily (no idea what brand they are) but then you would only be left with engine protection. Maybe one day I'll swap the protection for something more subtle. The previous owner had some Denali spots on there which were apparently linked in through an ezcan, but that element was removed, so now I have two loose and apparently quite expensive spots I have to decide what I want to do with! Oh and the daughter isn't impressed by having to negotiate the furniture to get on!

Quick shifter. Well, that's a wee bit clonky! But I have just got off a Street Triple which has a really nice gearbox and the shifter compliments that. Using the clutch between 1st and 2nd, it's liveable with between other gears. Not really tried downshifts with it as I'm not used to blippers. Other comparison to any other non BMW - Indicator! That Wonder Wheel puts the indicator a little further away than I'm used to, although day 2 it seemed much more natural.

Do have a RAM ball on the brake reservoir. Will probably take it off, although still mulling phone mounting options, whether to get the Chinese wireless thing that goes in the Nav prep, or go Quad Lock and mount that to the nav prep blank or the RAM ball. Need to consider the options, and if Quadlock, where there might be a 12V supply to make use of the 12V wireless charging mount because do I want an exposed USB connection in the rain? There is the Wunderlinq of course, but not sure I want that much connectivity, and it looks like an exposed USB again, albeit more sheltered. I have a Nav VI too, so if I do use the Nav VI, there is a USB (and an aux 3.5mm receptacle) in the right cubby box I can use to charge a phone if needed.

Also have that little bag which fits under the screen. No idea what to keep in there. Parking in Manchester, anything might go missing from there, even a blank bit of paper :lol: Few gaps in the tool kit under the seat, so will have to investigate what's missing and top up (if anyone has a pic/list I'd be grateful).

Anyway, enough grumblings, it's a great bike to ride, very amused by the electric screen and central locking. Not looked at any of the menu stuff yet, had a play with Normal and Dynamic mode and not really found the difference (not actually tried making any exuberant progress yet due to pillion on board and following the daughter's moped), but will see how that goes. Feels confident in corners at the modest pace I'm giving it (I'm not quick anyway), liking the engine note. Didn't expect the screen to close when shutting the bike down, but that's a nice touch. Left cubby box also takes my disc lock, which takes me back to my Deauville as the left cubby on that also took the disc lock. Next on list of things to learn is the width for filtering. Not sure how it compares to my Deauville when that had the extra capacity pannier lids on. Shall have to look it up.

Thanks all for the responses to pre-purchase questions, really appreciate that. Hopefully see you on the roads around the North West and odd venture to the Dales and Moors.

Not the brightest of photos but you can see the crash protection
IMG_6731.jpeg
IMG_6731.jpeg (592.37 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
And like you've never seen the chasm between grip and indicator, but here's a reminder ;)
IMG_6731.jpeg
IMG_6731.jpeg (592.37 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
Attachments
IMG_6734.jpeg
IMG_6734.jpeg (325.87 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Re: Two day owner grumbles and gripes

Post by Doctor T »

Boxer bikes have always had a clonky gear change. That's normal. You have the better Ilium rear protectors fitted, mine are Wunderlich type and are much higher. You can fit the rear peg lifting kit that may help. Aliexpress or other China selling sites. Same as you buy in the UK but 3 X cheaper. I've used a cheap copy of a quad lock fitted to my bike before that it was on my Tiger. A total of 5 problem free years.
After awhile you will find the handling of the bike exceeds or matches much smaller bikes. If pressed it's not hard to scratch the pegs.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Steve398
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 315 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I think you have Ilium rear crash bars, they’re the only one I know that are removable… very good, made in the USA, but very expensive.
The Ilium front crash bars allow the valves to be adjusted without removal.
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Doctor T wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:32 pm
After awhile you will find the handling of the bike exceeds or matches much smaller bikes. If pressed it's not hard to scratch the pegs.
No chickens were ever in danger of losing their strips on a bike I rode! Although got the closest on my Deau than anything else….

Will look in to the rear peg kit, thank you. We did make it work in the end without too much effort, so perhaps a couple more trips. She’s not been pillion before learning to ride herself, she wanted to be the one in control (I will never pillion!!), and now she has her own Vespa, she’ll opt for that when she can. She wants to try a geared bike next year when she’s 17, if not she wants a 125 scoot, and is already considering her A2.
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Steve398 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:55 pm I think you have Ilium rear crash bars, they’re the only one I know that are removable… very good, made in the USA, but very expensive.
The Ilium front crash bars allow the valves to be adjusted without removal.
Didn’t realise that about front crash bars, although makes sense. Rears I don’t think look so good, but haven’t looked at what other options there are. Something under box would be good, but suspect that would affect clearance for those who can actually handle these things!
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 281 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

If you are going to keep the panniers fitted, keep the bars, if not remove them.
I ride all the time with the painners so dont mind the bars being on there.
It not so much if you crash (bars wont do much above 30mph) its when your moving the bike about and the weight gets away from you. Thats when the bars will help most.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Steve398
Subscriber
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Re rear crash bars: BMW do some self adhesive rubber strips to fix onto the side of the panniers to save the paintwork should you drop it whilst stationary.

Fortunately I haven't discovered whether they work as yet, but as with anything bearing the name, they ain’t cheap!
Steve398
Subscriber
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Steve398 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:38 pm Re rear crash bars: BMW do some self adhesive rubber strips to fix onto the side of the panniers to save the paintwork should you drop it whilst stationary.

Fortunately I haven't discovered whether they work as yet, but as with anything bearing the name, they ain’t cheap!
You can get some from Halfords.... much cheaper :thumb:
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Steve398 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:38 pm

BMW - Bring More Wedge!

Like the Nav V/VI battery. £70 from BMW, £13 from Garmin.
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

I’ll add a bemusement.

Why doesn’t the steering lock off the central locking? Only just discovered this! And the alarm needs a second fob press…
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 539 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I would say the steering lock is a safety feature just in case you haven't turned it steering fully to the left

I'm not sure if you can change the settings to have the bike set the alarm automatically you might want to check the settings
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Need a day with a manual and possibly a battery tender 😅

May try to find the correct online manual for it tomorrow. Make it at least searchable that way.
Steve398
Subscriber
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

It took me a while to work out the menus, and eventually get the set-up that I wanted. It was a lot easier to ask a mate who had the same bike.. there were lots of “How do you…?” conversations.
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Steve398 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:03 pm It took me a while to work out the menus, and eventually get the set-up that I wanted. It was a lot easier to ask a mate who had the same bike.. there were lots of “How do you…?” conversations.
Not sure I know anyone with this model. Friend had a 2011, but obviously this is notably different. I’ll fumble through and YouTube it until I find a victim to lean on :)