Hello from the Pacific Northwest

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
fresh
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2015
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Post by fresh »

Greetings all from the Seattle area.

I wanted to thank this board for answering some questions I had before buying my first RT. I've been riding since I was 15, and it still took 30 years for me to get that police bike (or that Tour De France cameraman bike) I always looked up to. It's like nothing I've ever ridden before, and I already want another one. As soon as I got on it, I literally though to myself "I could ride this all the way to Sacramento right now!"

I just got a used 2015 with 100K+ miles on it. Any high-mileage gotchas that anyone has, I'd be happy to hear. I was able to identify some items to check from this board (so thanks again!) before I bought it. The bike certainly isn't perfect, but it seems like it wasn't abused, and had been down maybe two or three times at low/0 speed. It's pretty stock with no crash bars or lights.

My plan is to evaluate what I want to change or customize about it, and buy a new, or lightly used, 1250 next spring. I tend to commute about 30 minutes 3 days a week on my other bike - a 2017 Yamaha FJ-09 - but I have a feeling it's going to be quickly relegated. I don't usually ride in the nastier rain here, so I don't commute year-round, but I did ride up into November last year. Seattle doesn't usually rain - it just kind of "spits."

I was curious if anyone has advice on the GS top triple clamp option, that lets you have "regular" handlebars. It seems like a no-brainer option to get if I was to order a new 1250, but then again I don't see it on many of the used ones I've looked at. Maybe it's confirmation bias, since everyone that gets that option doesn't sell them? :) Is there a downside? Does it change the ergonomics or feedback? Has anyone converted a 1200 and then regretted it?

Cheers.
Randyjaco
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 42 times
United States of America

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest

Post by Randyjaco »

Welcome from Friendswood, Texas :cheers:
Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 539 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome to the forum

And @EasyRider can help you with the bars
fresh
United States of America

Post by fresh »

Thanks all. I just rode my Yamaha for the first time since getting the RT, and never before has a 900cc felt like a little dirt bike :)
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to our site
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
fresh
United States of America

Post by fresh »

Here's a couple pics I took on Friday, down at the Edmonds Ferry terminal.
PXL_20240906_Edmonds_2.jpg
PXL_20240906_Edmonds_2.jpg (155.64 KiB) Viewed 125 times
PXL_20240906_Edmonds_4.jpg
PXL_20240906_Edmonds_4.jpg (205.64 KiB) Viewed 125 times