Stu
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 539 times
Been liked: 487 times
Great Britain

Re: Two day owner grumbles and gripes

Post by Stu »

Just ask questions on here I am sure some of us will know if not we can easily look :lol:
lancashirert
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE 2018
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Stu wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:48 pm Just ask questions on here I am sure some of us will know if not we can easily look :lol:
“Live from Lancashire”, broadcasting to a forum near you with an A&Q :lol:
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Stu wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:54 pm I would say the steering lock is a safety feature just in case you haven't turned it steering fully to the left

I'm not sure if you can change the settings to have the bike set the alarm automatically you might want to check the settings
My alarm sets automatically, it's in the set up somewhere, but it's the kind of thing you set and forget except when going on a ferry :lol:

I ride in ROAD if just pottering about, but mostly ride in DYNAMIC, not for any speed advantage, I just feel the response is better and my fat ass likes firmer suspension, although you can go into the menus and separate the suspension from the engine if you want to tune those further.

I put a "tail" terminal on the battery and secured it behind the right side quarter panel, it's easy to get to and I can plug both my compressor and Optimate into it as I bought the appropriate connections for them, just makes life easier :cheers:
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Reminds me. Puncture kit. Been way too long without one…. Thank you.

I need to have a run and try the different modes. Road gives “norm” for suspension. Dynamic gives “hard”. It is my intention to change one thing at a time. Detaching suspension from rider mode would probably be where I’ll end up (or put the preferred suspension to all modes). On my old Tiger and Speedie I used to switch modes depending on traffic, although they never had electronic suspension adjustment.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

My rear crash bars have saved my panniers a couple of times. I wouldn't be without them.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

lancashirert wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:42 pm BMW - Bring More Wedge!

Like the Nav V/VI battery. £70 from BMW, £13 from Garmin.
Why so much. I've replaced mine on TomTom and Garmin. Batteries cost less then £5 and that was with upgraded batteries
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Because they can, and we're in post-Covid inflation? Still, £13 to make a freebie work isn't a complaining matter!
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 79 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

Ref Quickshifters. You have to remember quickshiters originated from the track and were designed for revvy engines. Move that technology to a lower revving engine designed to produce loads of low end grunt and it just doesn't work so well. That's not to say the QS doesn't works, just to make it work properly you have to be at, shall we say 'making progress' speeds and then onlt in the top few gears. Lower down the box and at lower speed it's using the clutch is just smoother. You can make it work at lower revs, sort of, but it ain't what it desgined for.
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Capt Sisko wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:09 am Ref Quickshifters. You have to remember quickshiters originated from the track and were designed for revvy engines. Move that technology to a lower revving engine designed to produce loads of low end grunt and it just doesn't work so well. That's not to say the QS doesn't works, just to make it work properly you have to be at, shall we say 'making progress' speeds and then onlt in the top few gears. Lower down the box and at lower speed it's using the clutch is just smoother. You can make it work at lower revs, sort of, but it ain't what it desgined for.
Indeed, figuring that out as I go. The box isn't too bad really, but Triumph's box on the 675 engines is really nice, so you notice anything less even moreso. And also remembering that this bike has way more engine braking than most bikes I have ridden!
Arends
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1200RT 2015
Been liked: 4 times
Ireland

Post by Arends »

Phone Mount note here: I bought the "flea-bay" induction Nav-mounted holder, and it hasn't skipped a beat in 7,000km over my few months of ownership. I use google maps, blue-tooth to headset, GPS logger and sometimes play music, and it still provides enough power to charge the phone while riding. The spring feels a bit too strong, but my phone is still alive (Samsung 10e). It has power, there are no cables and it does not look as a third-party addition when left on the bike.
The location is perfect and after having phone previously off-centre, I do prefer it mounted centrally now. It does not distract anything, and is easy to glance at (for city directions).
For less than €40 delivered within two weeks, I'd keep the RAM mount for other accessories (e.g. cup holder) and use the powered (and wireless) nav-mount adapter.
I am here to learn.
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Thanks for that!

Wasn't aware there was a cup holder for RAM mounts!
Arends
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1200RT 2015
Been liked: 4 times
Ireland

Post by Arends »

Spill-proof cup holder - https://rammount.com/products/ram-b-132bu. I have a search saved for it on fleabay. Our second office is 2 hours away, which would make for perfect time to sip my morning brew.
I am here to learn.
lancashirert
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

Finally got a wee solo blast. Nothing too exuberant due to urban and suburban speed limits.

Need to wrap my Abus disc lock in a cloth cos I can hear it tinkling.

Need to ride without panniers (had to as I was picking up something) to see if it’s quieter over rough bits, if not that’s gonna be a an annoying thing to track down.

Bit skippy of a rough exit to a mini roundabout, didn’t feel alarming however.

Now to work out where I actually like the screen. Don’t get the clean air flow like you do on a naked bike.

All stacking up nicely!