Exhaust valve servo motor ino

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Bodnostart
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE, 2015
Great Britain

Exhaust valve servo motor ino

Post by Bodnostart »

Hello. Just spent a bit of time freeing up the exhaust butterfly valve. Moves freely after much exercise. On reassemble the motor would not run during the built in test(BIT). Have removed the servo motor and tried to bench test it. I think pin 3 is the power. Not sure of the rest. I do know the valve is a big issue and very troublesome but I really would like to sort this out. The motor was running before hand. So if anyone has the wiring diagram or a good system for testing the servo while off the bike, I would be grateful. Cheers.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 79 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust valve servo motor ino

Post by Capt Sisko »

Bottom line, once they start going it's only a matter of time before they seize up completely. Most seize up in the open position, but they have been known to seize in the closed position which causes problems. A fault will be logged in the CPU but I believe it only shows up as a warning on the dashboard (the engine management light comes on) on later models. The solution? Buy a Healtech Exhaust Servo Eliminator £50, half an hours work and you no longer have a problem (though you might want to get the engine management warning light cleared if you're is one of the ones that comes on).

Some claim the bikes are a little louder at low RPM with the flap permanently open, but I never noticed any difference.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust valve servo motor ino

Post by Doctor T »

Easy way is just to remove the butterfly flap or fix it so the flap is stuck open
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.