General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Jggpossum
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Australia

1250RT Comfort Turn Indicator Setting resets itself

Post by Jggpossum »

This issue was partly covered in another post about "Software resets itself" but it is now an issue acknowledged by BMW.

My 2023 1250RT spent a week at the dealership while they tried to work out why when I set the "Comfort Turn Indicator" option to ON (check box tick) in the Settings/Vehicle Settings/lights menu, it resets back to off (unchecked) after the bike has been parked up for a few hours (probably as part of an internal trip/journey reset). At the same time the TFT screen resets to full screen (I leave it in split screen mode always).

BMW advised the Dealer to replace the Dash assembly (TFT), which they did, and it didn't fix the problem. Finally after a week in the shop BMW came back and acknowledged this was a Software issue, and that a fix would be released in an update due around Feb/March 2025.

So, if you have this same issue, which seems to be present in Software releases since around May 2024, then let your Dealer know and be patient until this Software is updated. I have come to accept that BMW Motorrad are pretty ordinary at Software development and reliability (IMHO), but I still struggle to understand why they take so long to get on top of an issue and let their distributors know so that time and parts are not wasted, and customers don't feel like they are getting the run around.

Top marks to Procycles Hornsby for nailing this issue down.
RaP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT MY2023
Germany

Re: 1250RT Comfort Turn Indicator Setting resets itself

Post by RaP »

Thanks for the info regarding the timeline for the next update. Seems to be that the dealers all over the world have to work out the reason by trial and error until they are informed by BMW to stop guessing around. I had the very same problem, see viewtopic.php?p=77096#p77096
TassieTone
Australia

Post by TassieTone »

I also have a 2023 model and whilst my comfort indicator setting and split screen do not change after the bike is turned off for a period I have found that the distance setting for the automatic cruise control resets to 1 bar every time the bike is turned on/off, I like it at the 3 bar setting.
Retired and living the dream in Sunny Tasmania!
The RT is a replacement for the R1250GSA
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 284 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

What is a "comfort indicator ".
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

The comfort indicator is a setting which enables the turn signal to cancel itself based on some internal software logic. The manual explains that it depends on number of factors but to me seems to primarily relate to distance travelled (whereas in a car of course there is a sensor on the steering wheel to cancel the indicator when the wheel is straightened, that won't work on a bike). So with comfort turn indicator enabled when you put the indicator on for say a left turn at the lights and after you make the turn and travel about 50m or something light that, the indicator switches off. Handy for when you forget to cancel it.
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

If this unintended reset problem doesn't happen on your bike you may have an earlier software version to my 014-013-030.
RaP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT MY2023
Germany

Post by RaP »

Jggpossum wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:30 am If this unintended reset problem doesn't happen on your bike you may have an earlier software version to my 014-013-030.
Or it is a 1250RT before 2023 without the menu option. The newest software keeps the comfort indicator on per default with this bikes afaik.
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Jggpossum wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:27 am The comfort indicator is a setting which enables the turn signal to cancel itself based on some internal software logic. The manual explains that it depends on number of factors but to me seems to primarily relate to distance travelled (whereas in a car of course there is a sensor on the steering wheel to cancel the indicator when the wheel is straightened, that won't work on a bike). So with comfort turn indicator enabled when you put the indicator on for say a left turn at the lights and after you make the turn and travel about 50m or something light that, the indicator switches off. Handy for when you forget to cancel it.
Thanks for the reply,I had that on me bike(now sold)just didn't know what or why it was called that :thumb:
Jggpossum
Australia

Post by Jggpossum »

You’re not alone. When it dawned on me the indicator wasn’t self cancelling any more I asked the dealer if there was an internal software setting they could change. When he said it was user selectable as menu item “comfort turn indicator” I realised I had looked at it but never clicked what it was. Dumb name? Why not “ Auto cancel indicators”? Or “Auto-Cancel-Anzeigen” Nah! Doesn’t sound technical enough and after all it does have German engineering.
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Indeed,sounds soft for a motorbike function ;)
lancashirert
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE 2018
Has liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by lancashirert »

I noticed that after setting my bike to Dynamics mode with normal suspension and single rider, the bike has default back to Road & Normal, but when I switch to dynamic, it’s got Hard dialled in.

Similar type thing? Late 2017 RT LE.