Map Freezes

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
ve3dgy
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Canada

Map Freezes

Post by ve3dgy »

Just got the bike 2 weeks ago. Odd that there's no imbedded map, have to use an app that is dependent on a good cellular connection and it would seem clear access for gps. Issue: My map is freezing, I stop and start it and it will refresh but will not track in real time. Could it be that having the phone in the "charging dock" is inhibiting the GPS signal or is there something else going on.

I've read some of the other comments about starting the map function, do I really have to restart it when I stop for gas?
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: Map Freezes

Post by MattyP »

Hi

Under normal circumstances you should not have to restart the app after you stop the bike for any reason - it should just auto-connect and, until recently, always has done. When it works it is fine! There is no problem with your phone being in the compartment dock and this does not, in my experience and I've had the system for 3 years now and ridden all over Europe, interfere or compromise the GPS signal which works just fine in real time.

However, a lot of us have contributed to a thread that I started on here a few days ago relating to the BMW Connected app giving problems with the latest version of the software (v5.3). Basically it shrinks the maps and home page to a point where it becomes useless. It also freezes in mid-ride sometimes. Have a read of the thread.

I have reported the problem to BMW and they have acknowledged the concern and I am awaiting an update.

I am assuming that as you have only just picked the bike up you will be running all the latest software where the glitches are!

Hope this helps.

Great bike though!

Cheers. Matt
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

MattyP wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:51 pm Hi

Under normal circumstances you should not have to restart the app after you stop the bike for any reason - it should just auto-connect and, until recently, always has done. When it works it is fine! There is no problem with your phone being in the compartment dock and this does not, in my experience and I've had the system for 3 years now and ridden all over Europe, interfere or compromise the GPS signal which works just fine in real time.

However, a lot of us have contributed to a thread that I started on here a few days ago relating to the BMW Connected app giving problems with the latest version of the software (v5.3). Basically it shrinks the maps and home page to a point where it becomes useless. It also freezes in mid-ride sometimes. Have a read of the thread.

I have reported the problem to BMW and they have acknowledged the concern and I am awaiting an update.

I am assuming that as you have only just picked the bike up you will be running all the latest software where the glitches are!

Hope this helps.

Great bike though!

Cheers. Matt
I agree with the above.

I've done about 6000 miles of late and I think the map has disconnected once, and the phone is stored in the cooled charging compartment all the time so it's never drained of power. It is important to have a decent signal for the phone, not always the best one as it will run on mine with just one or two "bars", but some phones in some areas will have outages, so you have to expect the nav to die under these circumstances. If your in such an area, then try a different provider or buy an aftermarket sat nav, yes, I know that a bit crap, but we are where we are, and I don'ts know anyone who would not rather have had a dedicated nav, although it does make it easier to put routes into, my last BMW Nav 6 had to be connected to my PC to put routs in, which is way worse :roll:
Indyrob63
Bike Model and Year: 2024
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Indyrob63 »

The app is not dependent on cell signal except for traffic (optional). All of the map data is pre-downloaded and the cellphone's GPS receiver is used to determine your location. It works just fine with zero cell coverage.