EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 281 times
Wales

Duty & VAT

Post by EasyRider »

I am starting to see more companys from Europe, now giving a minimum order value of £140.00 on there websites.
My thinking is that being above the £135.00 value were they have to do (include) the VAT, it saves then having to do it.
And we have to pay the courier ourselves before the order is delivered, which costs us more.
Has anyone else come across this ?
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Glenn
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2019
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 131 times
Great Britain

Re: Duty & VAT

Post by Glenn »

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/en include the VAT and Duty charges in their price

"Attention!
Our Service: We refund any applicable customs charges on your order.
So you can be sure there’ll be no unwelcome surprises. Simply place your order and enjoy

I bought a screen from them for £190 and they were correct, no additional charges.
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 79 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

I order some HELD boots from Chromeburner in the Netherlands back in May. Paid my money, £142 excl VAT knowing there was possibility I'd have to the extras once the goods landed in the UK, but before they were release for delivery. The boots arrived less than a week later and I thought great, I'd got away with it. Alas no. A letter from FedEX came about two week later asking for a payment. Slightly miffed but knowing I had to pay, I did. Bottom line though, those boots are £240 at any of the UK stockists. I paid £180 all in so I'm still satisfied.
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 57 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Overseas couriers pay import fees on your behalf and make out they've done you a favour but it's all about their key performance indicators (KPI's) that are used by them to indicate how much it's costing them per parcel/pallet. A Package held up by customs for duty payment messes up the couriers figures at branch levels initially which are then fed back to their head office who insist they do better. The sneaky feckers then charge you VAT for paying the duty on your behalf even though you didn't request them to do so. :|
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 43 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

They way it should be calculated is the price then add the duty then the VAT on the accumulated figure. Check the duty rate they charged, couriers companies often get it wrong. Goods coming from the EU that are manufactured in the EU are duty free. ( If they originated outside the EU first then they may be dutiable.