Hello, traded my GS for RT

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here.
aayush
Bike Model and Year: 2017 1200RT
Netherlands

Hello, traded my GS for RT

Post by aayush »

Hi there,

I am living in Netherlands for several years, originally from India.
I have done most of India on motorcycle with several > 2500km trips within ( except leh-ladakh, highest motorable road in world) :)

I just had a 1200gs lc for about 2 years. I test rode the RT and felt very comfortable and confident with its abilities.
So traded in my gs at the bmw dealer in Netherlands for the 1200RT 2017 model.

I have one question: Recently while riding the RT (it has new metzler road tyres which have run-in period completed , almost 800km in)
I felt less confident while cornering, feels like the bike is moving a lot and the feeling that tyres dont have enough grip.
I never felt like this on the GS. Tyre pressure is 2.5F/2.9R which is 36/42 i think in psi.
Is it just the way RT handles and i have to just tell myself that it ok, and assume that it wont fall, or something else.
Any tips on what I could be doing wrong or to look for would be a great help.

Thanks and looking forward to be a part of this wonderful community
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Re: Hello, traded my GS for RT

Post by jesim1 »

Welcome to the forum, tyres are a personal thing, on my RT I run with Michelin PR5s, and will swap to the PR6s when these get a bit more wear, but the current ones are rock solid, no movement at all, they are like riding on rails.

Your tyre pressures sound fine, is this what your bike is displaying, and does that agree with a decent pressure gauge?

It may be something as simple as the profile of the Metzler's just does not suit your riding, or it could be the bike has a loose bearing somewhere which is showing up in slopy handling, it's worth looking into.

James
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 27 times
Wales

Post by slparry »

Seconded on the Pilot Road, make sure they're the Pilot Road GT's though for the additional weight of the RT.

I've previously been on many Pilot Road 5 GT's and now on Pilot Road 6 GT's They're a fantastic tyre, like most tyres I find that when they wear the RT becomes heavier feeling and ponderous.
Steve Parry, Triumph Chester, current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to our site
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
aayush
Bike Model and Year: 2017 1200RT
Netherlands

Post by aayush »

Thank you for sharing your experience, and the warm welcome! I would probably give the michelin’s a try.
Cheers
Glenn
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2019
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 131 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

I'll be swapping the Bridgestone Battlax 023's that were fitted when I bought the bike for Dunlop Roadsmart 4's when the time comes.