Muffler clamp question

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
StatiK
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT
United States of America

Muffler clamp question

Post by StatiK »

I can't quite tell without removing it, is the muffler clamp simply a clamp or does it retain bands on the muffler and the intermediate pipe to hold them together? Reason for asking is that I was trying to change my final drive fluid yesterday and found that the fastener on the muffler clamp (bike is new to me) is broken off so the clamp will have to be cut off. I want to change the fluid but it will be a while before I can get up to the dealership to grab a new clamp. Sparing any comments on how I should just be patient and wait til I get a clamp in hand, would the muffler be just as well held on by a couple of typical hose clamps temporarily?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 379 times
Great Britain

Re: Muffler clamp question

Post by David. »

The clamp is a separate part from the silencer (muffler), it is 57mm diameter.

Mikalor hose/exhaust clamps are really good, I've used them on my Yamaha XJ650. They do a 55-59mm, https://hcl-clamping.com/products/supra ... less-steel it'll work and be a lot less $'s than a BMW one.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 1075 times
Been liked: 281 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

As David said. 07 owner, the clamp is a separate item. I had to cut mine off as some Berk cross threaded the bolt.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
StatiK
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by StatiK »

Excellent. Thank you. That clamp looks like a great replacement.