Bar Risers

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Bar Risers

Post by k9doc »

Just fitted Hornig bar risers to my 2013 TC. According to their blurb, no mods to hoses/cables are necessary. The brake hose on full left lock feels tighter than is comfortable to me but what do I know. All seems fine on the road but it's now a worm in my head. Anyone else who has fitted them, and more mechanically minded, have any experience or advice they care to share. The hose isn't rock solid taut, but has very little additional movement on full lock. TIA.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... isers.html
Chris
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 39 times
Great Britain

Re: Bar Risers

Post by SimonD »

That's interesting, I might have tried these next.
I've just fitted some of the cheap Ali Express ones that move the bars up and back. The brake hose is definitely being stretched on full left lock. They'll be coming straight off later today.
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

How often is the bike on full left lock?

I've had lots of risers over the years, and TBH, I've never heard of a single incident being attributed to them pulling a cable :roll:

Go with your gut, if your concerned then it's an issue, perhaps see if the cables can be drawn through just a half inch from somewhere else, or does one cable sit on top of another and it can be reversed?
SimonD
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

What have bar risers on other bikes got to do with this situation? :roll:

I have risers on other bikes and they are fine. On this bike in this situation they are not. The hose is about a foot long and there is no slack.
I guess if you have a cut in your tyre on the left hand side you weigh up how often you turn left before considering whether to change it or not.

.....and in answer to your question the bike is on full left lock every time I take it out of my garage to turn it around and again every time I put the steering lock on. That's before considering tight manoeuvring in traffic and car parks.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

I had initial thoughts about removing the risers but then presumed that if they had been approved for use in Germany then all should be well, and Hornig stipulate in writing that longer lines/hoses are not necessary. I also (like jesim1) asked myself how often the bike is on full left lock other than manoeuvring out of garage, and even then don't need to turn to the limit. I do turn the bars to the right though when engaging steering lock. Long and short... left them on and just enjoy the ride.
Chris
jesim1
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 66 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

SimonD wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:35 pm What have bar risers on other bikes got to do with this situation? :roll:

I have risers on other bikes and they are fine. On this bike in this situation they are not. The hose is about a foot long and there is no slack.
I guess if you have a cut in your tyre on the left hand side you weigh up how often you turn left before considering whether to change it or not.

.....and in answer to your question the bike is on full left lock every time I take it out of my garage to turn it around and again every time I put the steering lock on. That's before considering tight manoeuvring in traffic and car parks.
Sounds like you have made up your mind - why did you go on an open forum and ask for advice if your just going to shoot people down :oops:

Here are mine on my current RT and they are fine:

SimonD
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

jesim1 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:08 pm Sounds like you have made up your mind - why did you go on an open forum and ask for advice if your just going to shoot people down :oops:

Here are mine on my current RT and they are fine:

I did not ask for advice, I was merely relaying my experience yesterday of similar risers on the same bike. The only shooting down was done by you.

You ask "how often is the bike on full lock". The answer to that is surely meaningless unless you know how many times you can stretch a brake hose before it fails.
I'm very happy that you are satisfied with your risers but they are neither the same risers or the same bike as those of the OP. If you have ever made brake lines you might wonder how many times you can pull on them with a long lever before they start to fatigue.
SimonD
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

Anyway, apologies to k9doc for bickering on your thread.
Those Hornig risers look like they are much better quality than the ones I fitted and I think the 25mm up would put less stress on the brake line than mine which are 18mm up and about 16mm back.
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

^^^^
No problem. :cheers:

They do make quite a difference turning real bad backache into only just noticeable backache, so all told, worth it I think.

There is an extender for clutch/brake lines for the LC bikes but that's not much use to us. :(

https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200r-lc- ... lutch-line
Chris
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 281 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

When i fitted the GS bars to my RT with bar risers, i found that the brakeline was at its max on full left lock.
I found this little extender that works very well, and its cheap to.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... ry_from%3A
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

EasyRider wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:41 am When i fitted the GS bars to my RT with bar risers, i found that the brakeline was at its max on full left lock.
I found this little extender that works very well, and its cheap to.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... ry_from%3A
Thanks for the info. Is this fitted to your LC bike? Not sure it would work on my TC as there doesn't appear to be the space for it. I'm no bike mechanic so happy to be corrected.
Chris
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

This is it fitted to my 2019 RT with GS handlebars.
Its not that big, but it gives enough slack in the brakeline on full left lock.

k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

The line on my bike is mounted horizontally, but could still work. Will depend if the neck bit on the extender will fit in the notch in the housing. Worth a punt anyroadup @ £7 delivered. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris
EasyRider
Subscriber
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

one thing i did do was put a little bit of lock tight on the allen bolt at the end. better safe than sorry.
SimonD
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

Just found this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145621902095

Might work on older bikes better. You can probably get a new hose for £30 though.